Wake Forest Drops 1-0 Decision to James Madison

Deacons finish season with 13-8-0 record

Nov. 16, 2008

Courtesy of Wake Forest Athletics

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Lindsay Bowers' header goal in the 82nd minute lifted James Madison (14-6-2) to a 1-0 victory over No. 23 Wake Forest (13-8-0) in the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Sunday afternoon at Spry Stadium.

Wake Forest controlled most of the game, outshooting the Dukes 16-9, although JMU had a 5-3 advantage in shots on goal. The Deacons took seven corner kicks while James Madison attempted three corners.

With the game scoreless in the 82nd minute, Teresa Rynier of James Madison attempted a corner kick. Her kick found the head of Yolam Anderson-Golhor. Anderson-Golhor flicked the ball on to Bowers who headed the ball into the left side of the net.

The Deacons had the better of the play for most of the game. Wake Forest had a good scoring chance early in the game. Allie Sadow crossed the ball to Bianca D'Agostino, who was 10 yards outside the goal. D'Agostino's shot was blocked by a JMU defender.

Wake Forest attempted six shots in the first part of the first 45 minutes of the game, while James Madison was able to apply pressure in the second part of the first half, also attempting six shots.

The Deacons had another great chance early in the second half. Sadow had a shot from the right side of the six-yard box, but James Madison goalkeeper Diane Wszalek made a diving save near the right post to keep the game scoreless.

Wake Forest had a total of 10 shots in the second half, but were unable to find the back of the net as James Madison held on for a 1-0 victory.

Wszalek recorded her second shutout in the last two games, making three saves to pick up the victory. Wake Forest goalkeeper Laura Morse made four saves, while allowing one goal.

The loss ends the career of the six Wake Forest seniors. Whitney Berry, Christy Carter, Camelyn Dillon, Kristina Hanley, Amanda Lebo and Amy Smerdzinski each played their final game at Spry Stadium.

Related Stories