Wheaton Survives Shootout Thriller Versus Wisconsin-Eau-Claire

The game was tied 0-0 after regulation and two OT periods.

Nov. 15, 2008

Box score

Wheaton, Ill. - It took 110 minutes for Wheaton to get a ball past goalkeeper Allie Rivard. Posts, crossbars and superb saves by the Wisconsin-Eau Claire senior kept the Thunder offense from getting on the scoreboard.

But once both overtimes ran out, Wheaton's goaltender Ingrid Erickson outshined her counterpart and helped Wheaton women's soccer advance past Wisconsin-Eau Claire in the second round of NCAA Division III Tournament on Saturday.

The Thunder and the Blugolds were tied 0-0 after two overtimes, with Wheaton advancing 3-1 in the shootout format.

In their previous game, the two teams tied 2-2 at Joe Bean Stadium back on Sept. 20. The nationally-ranked opponents met again in the NCAAs as the No. 15-ranked Blugolds defended their home turf against the No. 22-Thunder.

Even though the game was played in Eau Claire, Wheaton was technically the top seed and therefore the home team. The Thunder lost no time imposing their will and kept the pressure on Rivard all through the first half.

At 15:33, Ali Kopelman scored a put-back goal after Kari Klynstra's shot hit the post. But the goal was nullified as Kopelman was called offsides.

Wheaton had a 12-1 shot advantage in the first half and were dominating ball possession. But Rivard would not budge as she made seven saves.

The Blugolds were more aggressive in the second half and pressed the action on several occassions. However, neither team could break through and the game was sent to overtime.

The scoreless pattern continued through the first OT and into the second. The Thunder almost ended the game there as Carrie Kishaba's shot hit the crossbar in the 107th minute.

The score stayed knotted at 0-0, forcing a tension-filled shootout to determine who would advance in the NCAA Tournament. Eau Claire shot first and scored on their first attempt by Liz Kooistra.

Wheaton answered in kind as Lauren Moser slotted her shot lower left after a long run up to the ball.

Then it was time for Erickson to shine. The sophomore guessed correctly and saved the next three shots by the Blugolds.

Kopelman and Taryne Lee both made their shots, and Erickson's third save clinched the game for the Thunder in dramatic fashion.

Wheaton outshot Eau Claire 26-7 in the game and held a 7-5 advantage in corner kicks.

Erickson picked up the win with three saves during the game and three more in the shootout. Rivard made 12 saves.

The Thunder move on to the third round of the NCAAs and will host next weekend against a yet to be determined opponent.

Related Stories