Carlos Alvarez won both his doubles and singles matches against Arizona State Wednesday.
March 13, 2008
ATLANTA, GA--The 15th-ranked Arizona State Sun Devils defeated Clemson 6-1 in a men's intercollegiate tennis match at Atlanta, GA Wednesday evening.
With the win, Arizona State improves to 10-0 on the year, while Clemson falls to 10-10 this season.
The Sun Devils won two of their doubles matches to earn the doubles point. The No. 31 ranked team of Matt Brooklyn and T.J. Bellama earned a 9-8 victory over Clemson's Ike Belk and Derek DiFazio. Wes Miller and John Nanosky II registered an 8-6 win over Gera Boryachinskiy and Kevin Galloway. Clemson's Carlos Alvarez and Kevin Fleck defeated Andres Arango and Harry Skinner 8-3.
In singles, the Sun Devils took five of the six matches. Clemson's lone win came at the number one position as Alvarez defeated Brooklyn 7-5, 5-7, 6-0.
Clemson will play both Florida A&M and Florida State in Tallahassee, FL next Tuesday in the Tigers' next action.
1. Matt Brooklyn/T.J. Bellama (ASU) def. Ike Belk/Derek DiFazio (Clemson) 9-8
2. Carlos Alvarez/Kevin Fleck (Clemson) def. Andres Arango/Harry Skinner (ASU) 8-3
3. Wes Miller/John Nanosky II (ASU) def. Gera Boryachinskiy/Kevin Galloway (Clemson) 8-6
1. Carlos Alvarez (Clemson) def. Matt Brooklyn (ASU) 7-5, 5-7, 6-0
2. Andres Arango (ASU) def. Gera Boryachinskiy (Clemson) 6-1, 7-6 (3)
3. Juan Carlos Rebaza (ASU) def. Kevin Fleck (Clemson) 6-0, 6-1
4. Harry Skinner (ASU) def. Ike Belk (Clemson) 6-4, 6-3
5. Wes Miller (ASU) def. Kevin Galloway (Clemson) 7-5, 6-4
6. T.J. Bellama (ASU) def. Derek DiFazio (Clemson) 3-6, 7-6 (5), 7-5