Carolina Golf Team Finishes 12th At Linger Longer Invitational
Tar Heels Martin Ureta and Reed Darsie tie for 31st place.
May 14, 2007
Greensboro, Ga. - The University of North Carolina carded a seven-over-par 295 for an 881 total and finished in 12th place at the Linger Longer Invitational played at Reynolds Plantation, Oconee Course, which features a par 72, 7,393-yard layout.
Top-ranked Georgia topped the 15-team field with a 29-under 835 total after firing a 12-under 276 in the final round. Georgia State finished in a distant second place with a 10-under 854 total. Florida State finished third at 856 while Tennessee-Chattanooga finished fourth at 863 and Charlotte and Alabama tied for fifth place with 864 totals.
Tar Heel seniors Martin Ureta and Reed Darsie both carded three-over 291 totals to tie for 31st place. Ureta, from Santiago, Chile, fired a one-under 71 in the final round while Darsie, from Chapel Hill, shot 73. Robert Riesen, a sophomore from Pinehurst, N.C., finished at five-over 221 after posting a 76 on Monday to tie for 41st place. Sophomore Barden Berry, from Kinston, N.C., tied for 61st with a 228 total while junior David Holzworth, from Chapel Hill, posted a 229 total to tie for 64th place.
Chris Kirk of Georgia fired a three-under 69 in the final round for a 10-under 206 total to capture the individual title. Ian Rochester of Memphis was the runner-up, just two strokes back at 208. Derek Fathauer of Louisville finished in third place with a 209 total while Florida State's Seath Lauer and Georgia's Adam Mitchell tied for fourth place with 210 totals.
The Tar Heels now travel to Alpharetta, Ga., to play in the NCAA East Regional this Thursday through Saturday.
FINAL TEAM STANDINGS (54 Holes)
1. Georgia 273-286-276-835
2. Georgia State 287-277-290-854
3. Florida State 283-279-294-856
4. Tenn.-Chattanooga 288-282-293-863
5. Charlotte 290-287-287-864
7. Mississippi State 296-288-284-868
8. Georgia Southern 284-288-297-869
9. Augusta State 289-285-296-870
10. Memphis 290-285-300-875
11. Louisville 287-287-302-876
12. North Carolina 296-290-295-881
13. Louisiana State 287-295-297-889
14. Kennesaw State 304-299-304-907
15. Mercer 314-298-315-927
TOP INDIVIDUALS (54 Holes)
1. Chris Kirk (Ga.) 65-72-69-206
2. Ian Rochester (Memphis) 70-67-71-208
3. Derek Fathauer (Louisville) 67-71-71-209
4. Seath Lauer (Fla. St.) 70-68-72-210
Adam Mitchell (Ga.) 70-69-71-210
Martin Ureta fired a one-under 71 in the final round.