Man Pleads No Contest in Threats Involving Michigan Coach
 
 

Dec. 20, 2006

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) -A man who allegedly stalked and sent threatening e-mails to Michigan football coach Lloyd Carr will stay out of jail under a probationary order.

Tobi Akinmusuru entered a no-contest plea Tuesday to a charge of using a computer to commit a crime, a misdemeanor that carries a maximum sentence of one year in jail and a $5,000 fine, court administrator Keith Zeisloft said Wednesday.

A no-contest plea is not an admission of guilt but is treated as such for sentencing purposes. Sentencing was set for Jan. 18.

Prosecutors dropped charges of malicious use of telecommunications and malicious annoyance by writing in exchange for the plea. District Court Judge Ann Mattson ordered Akinmusuru, of Detroit, to stay away from the school's campus and follow orders to take medications.

Akinmusuru, 23, was arrested in October, the same day campus police said Carr and other coaching staff members received threatening, harassing and obscene e-mails. Campus police a day before had found him peering in the windows of cars parked at Schembechler Hall and told him not to return to campus.

Police found Akinmusuru standing in front of the Michigan Union, waving a baseball bat and making more threats against Carr.

In the e-mails, which were obtained by The Detroit News under a Freedom of Information Act request, Akinmusuru said Carr and university president Mary Sue Coleman "baited me and played god with my life."

While university officials said there had been no contact with him of any kind, Akinmusuru said he'd be willing to "call it even" if the university would provide him with "a personal trainer and use of the facilities to rehab my knee."

"Or I can haunt you," he wrote. "Assault cases are only 1 to 4s."

A message was left seeking comment Wednesday from a lawyer for Akinmusuru.


 

 


 
Football Home