Dixon And The Ducks Beat Michigan 39-7, Its Worst Loss Since 1968

Dennis Dixon accounted for 368 yards and a career-high four touchdowns

College Football Recap: Week 2

> Full Scoreboard  |  GameTracker Final Stats  |  Images of Saturday
> The Red Zone  |  Tape It Up  |  Strike The Pose  |  Breaking The Code  |  Curtis: Still No Answers
> Run & Shoot: Rice Makes Nice  |  Huskers Earn Tough Road Win  |  Head Held Low For O'Brien
Ducks Pound Wolverines  |  Penn State Dominates  |  Texas Too Much  |  Badgers Survive  |  Tigers Trounce

Sept. 8, 2007

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) -- Michigan got embarrassed again, just in a different way.

A week after being upset by Appalachian State, the Wolverines were handed their most-lopsided loss in 39 years as Dennis Dixon and the Ducks cruised 39-7 on Saturday. Dixon accounted for 368 yards and a career-high four touchdowns.

Michigan (0-2) has opened a season with two straight losses at home for the first time since 1959 and has dropped four straight, dating to last season, for the first time in four decades.

Unlike the stunning loss to the second-tier Mountaineers, the Wolverines didn't even keep it close against Oregon. The 32-point setback was Michigan's worst since losing 50-14 at Ohio State in 1968, the season before Bo Schembechler's debut in Ann Arbor.

Michigan hasn't won a game since Schembechler died the day before the Ohio State game last year.

The Ducks (2-0) beat Houston handily in its opener, then were even more dominant against a once-proud program that boasts the most wins and best winning percentage in college football.

Dixon led the way with his arm and feet, throwing for 292 yards and tying a career high with three passing TDs -- to three receivers -- and running for 76 yards and a score. Jonathan Stewart ran for 111 yards and a TD.

Michigan's Chad Henne sailed an ill-advised pass into double coverage that was intercepted with the ease of a punt return and a lower-leg injury knocked him out of the game for the second half.

The Wolverines led 7-3 late in the first quarter on Henne's touchdown pass and stopped the Ducks on a fourth-and-goal at the 1 early in the fourth.

Between those two plays, Oregon seemed to do whatever it wanted against Michigan.

The Ducks led 32-7 at halftime and coasted to the victory against little resistance.

Michigan Stadium's aisles filled with fans that had seen enough after Oregon made it 39-7 in the third quarter and the Big House was so quiet that a small pocket of Oregon supporters could be heard chanting: "Let's Go Ducks! Let's Go Ducks!"