Final NFL Mock Draft
Oakland ready to pick LSU's JaMarcus Russell
April 27, 2007
By Howard Balzer
Special to CSTV.com from NFLDraftScout.com
1. Oakland: QB JaMarcus Russell, Louisiana State -- Al Davis wants Russell to be his legacy, playing for at least a decade.
2. Detroit: WR Calvin Johnson, Georgia Tech -- They will entertain trade offers, but the Lions will stay here and take the best player in the draft.
3. Cleveland: QB Brady Quinn, Notre Dame -- The Browns should go in another direction, but they won't be able to resist taking Quinn.
4. Tampa Bay: DE Gaines Adams, Clemson -- Still makes the most sense for the Bucs, adding the pass rusher they need.
5. Arizona: OT Joe Thomas, Wisconsin -- This is probably the most consistent pick for the Cardinals in all mock drafts. Building the line is what they simply have to do.
6. Washington: S LaRon Landry, Louisiana State -- The Redskins break Atlanta's heart, and get someone to team with Sean Taylor.
7. Minnesota: RB Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma -- There are those who believe Peterson is the best player in the draft. Even if he isn't, getting him here is a great value for the Vikings.
8. Atlanta: DT Amobi Okoye, Louisville -- They wanted Landry, but Okoye will man the inside for a long time in Georgia.
9. Miami: LB Patrick Willis, Mississippi -- How long can Zach Thomas play? Willis can play anywhere and makes the Dolphins defense even better.
10. Houston: OT Levi Brown, Penn State -- They never protected David Carr, and can't make the same mistake with Matt Schaub.
11. San Francisco: DL Adam Carriker, Nebraska -- Inside or outside, Carriker improves the 49ers' defense. His versatility fits what the Niners do.
12. Buffalo: CB Leon Hall, Michigan -- The loss of Nate Clements makes Hall an obvious addition to a young secondary.
13. St. Louis: DE Jamaal Anderson, Arkansas -- The Rams will try to trade down, and will also consider a cornerback, but a young pass rusher needs to be developed.
14. Carolina: TE Greg Olsen, Miami -- He's the best addition for the Panthers, and will help spread out the passing offense.
15. Pittsburgh: G Ben Grubbs, Auburn -- Alan Faneca is unhappy, and youth is needed at guard. The contracts being handed out to guards says this is not too high of a pick for one.
16. Green Bay: WR Ted Ginn Jr., Ohio State -- A young target for Brett Favre and an explosive player for the return game.
17. Jacksonville: CB Darrelle Revis, Pittsburgh -- It's about time the Jaguars find a true partner for cornerback Rashean Mathis.
18. Cincinnati: S Reggie Nelson, Florida -- The back line needs help, and the Bengals strengthen it with this choice.
19. Tennessee: RB Marshawn Lynch, California -- With Travis Henry gone, the Titans need someone to team with LenDale White and provide a ground game for quarterback Vince Young.
20. N.Y. Giants: LB Paul Posluszny, Penn State -- Someone from Linebacker U. is a great fit for the Giants' defense.
21. Denver: DT Alan Branch, Michigan -- He might slip even further, but the Broncos are just the team that believes it can make him a consistent player.
22. Dallas: WR Robert Meachem, Tennessee -- They will consider a safety, but Meachem is the best value to add to an aging receivers corps.
23. Kansas City: CB Aaron Ross, Texas -- The Chiefs are working to get younger, and this is another example with Ty Law and Patrick Surtain at cornerback.
24. New England: LB Jon Beason, Miami -- Great work ethic, and an excellent fit for the Patriots' defensive scheme.
25. N.Y. Jets: CB Chris Houston, Arkansas -- The Jets need to add talent to the secondary, and Houston is the best solution this late in the round.
26. Philadelphia: S Brandon Meriweather, Miami -- The Eagles will be confident Meriweather is the answer at a position that needs immediate help.
27. New Orleans: DT Justin Harrell, Tennessee -- The Saints got cornerback Jason David, and now turn their attention to the defensive line. Harrell provides depth and ability in the rotation.
28. New England: OT Joe Staley, Central Michigan -- The Patriots always seem to have an underrated line, and in time Staley will make it even better.
29. Baltimore: LB Lawrence Timmons, Florida State -- The Ravens lost Adalius Thomas in free agency, and now get a young pass rusher for a good defense.
30. San Diego: WR Dwayne Bowe, Louisiana State -- Another solid weapon for an offense that is centered around LaDainian Tomlinson.
31. Chicago: OT Tony Ugoh, Arkansas -- The Bears' line has some age, and Ugoh is good value at this spot.
32. Indianapolis: DE Jarvis Moss, Florida -- Yes, the Colts have Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis, but another pass rusher helps the entire defense.
Howard Balzer is a Senior Writer for NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange.