Virginia head baseball coach Brian O'Connor signed another stellar class for the 2008 season.
Dec. 14, 2006
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - - Virginia head baseball coach Brian O'Connor has announced the signing of 12 players in the early signing period for the 2008 season. O'Connor and assistant coaches Kevin McMullan and Karl Kuhn have put together a recruiting class which will be rated as one of the top classes in the country.
The 2007 class consists of 12 high school players from four different states including five players from the Commonwealth of Virginia. Seven of the signees are ranked in Perfect Game's Top 300 national rankings including three ranked in the top 100 and two ranked in the top 75.
"This class has to rank as one of the top recruiting classes in Virginia baseball history," O'Connor said. "The goals we set in signing this class were to continue to develop a strong pitching staff, add an impact catcher and provide some offensive firepower with athletic position players. We definitely reached those goals and are very excited to have these players become members of the Virginia baseball program."
Virginia signed six pitchers, three outfielders, one infielder, one catcher and one utility player.
Virginia's 2007 recruiting includes RHP Kevin Arico (Flemington, N.J.), outfielder John Barr (Ivyland, Pa.), outfielder David Coleman (Richmond, Va.), RHP Jake Cowan (Roswell, Ga.), infielder Phil Gosselin (West Chester, Pa.), utility Dan Grovatt (Tabernacle, N.J.), LHP Sean Lucas (Fishkill, N.Y.),, catcher Devin Mesoraco (Punxsutawney, Pa.), RHP Robert Morey (Virginia Beach, Va.), outfielder Jarrett Parker (Stafford, Va.), LHP Sean Tierney (Moseley, Va.) and RHP Tyler Wilson (Midlothian, Va.).
Gosselin, Cowan and Tierney headline the class. Gosselin is rated as the No. 54 prospect in the country and the No. 1 player in the state of Pennsylvania by Perfect Game. Cowan is the No. 60 prospect and Tierney is rated 78th best prospect by Perfecr Game. Mesoraco, Lucas, Morey and Wilson are also ranked in Perfect Game's Top 200 prospects.
Recent Cavalier baseball recruiting classes have been ranked in the among the nation's best including the program's highest with a No. 8 ranking for the 2005 class.
Here is a complete listing of the signees:
|Name||Pos.||B/T||Ht.||Wt.||Hometown (High School/Prep School)|
|Kevin Arico||RHP||R/R||6-4||200||Flemington, N.J.(Hunterdon Central Regional HS)|
|John Barr||OF||R/R||6-2||180||Fort Washington, Pa.(Germantown Academy)|
|David Coleman||OF||L/L||5-11||180||Richmond, Va.(Trinity Episcopal School)|
|Jake Cowan||RHP||R/R||6-3||170||Roswell, Ga.(Roswell HS)|
|Phil Gosselin||INF||R/R||6-1||175||Malvern, Pa.(Malvern Prep)|
|Dan Grovatt||UTL||L/L||6-0||170||Tabernacle, N.J.(Seneca HS)|
|Sean Lucas||LHP||L/L||6-2||170||Fishkill, N.Y.(Beacon HS)|
|Devin Mesoraco||C||R/R||6-1||190||Punxsutawney, Pa.(Punxsutawney HS)|
|Robert Morey||RHP||R/R||6-1||180||Virginia Beach, Va.(Cape Henry Collegiate School)|
|Jarrett Parker||OF||L/L||6-3||190||Stafford, Va.(Colonial Forge HS)|
|Sean Tierney||LHP||L/L||6-4||180||Midlothian, Va.(Clover Hill HS)|
|Tyler Wilson||RHP||R/R||6-1||180||Midlothian, Va.(Midlothian HS)|
- Star Ledger West Jersey first team
- Times All-Area Baseball second team
- 2006 Courier News All Area third team
- Democrat All County Baseball Team
- 2005 first team all conference
Arico on Virginia: "The University of Virginia gives me an opportunity to get a top notch education from a highly respected and prestigious school, while also giving me the opportunity to play in the highly competitive Atlantic Coast Conference. I knew UVa was a perfect fit for me when I met the players and coaches, and also when I saw their dedication to their baseball program."
- 2006 Interac League MVP
- 2006 first team All Interac
- Four-year starter for high school
- 2005 first team All Interac
- Two-time League Champion
Barr on Virginia:"UVa was a great fit for me, with top academics and top athletics. I am really looking forward to working with the coaching staff and hope that I can make an immediate contribution to the program."
- Member of American Legion Post 186 Team that finished 3rd in the nation
- 2006 team MVP
- 2006 first team all state
- 2006 first team all prep
- SGA Vice President
Coleman on Virginia: "I chose the University of Virginia for many different reasons: they have many quality academic opportunities, they play at the highest level of college baseball, and the University has high expectations for the baseball team's future."
- Ranked as the 60th best prospect in the country by Perfect Game
- Ranked No. 6 overall in Georgia and top RHP
- 11th top prospect in East Coast Professional Showcase
- NABF World Series Champion
- Four-year letterman in baseball
Cowan on Virginia: "I selected the University of Virginia because Coach O'Connor, Coach McMullan, and Coach Kuhn were able to communicate their passion for the school, players, and atmosphere that surrounds one of the best institutions and baseball programs in the country."
- Ranked 54th in the country by Perfect Game
- Ranked No. 1 in Pennsylvania and No. 6 in Northeast by Perfect Game
- 2006 Pennsylvania Indepdent Schools State Champion
- 2006 1st Team All Main Line
- 2006 1st Team All Area
- 2006 1st Team All League
Gosselin on Virginia: "I chose Virginia because of the great academics, top tier baseball program, and the great college atmosphere. The coaches and players made me feel like I was a member of the Virginia family from the beginning. They cared about me as a person, not just a player."
- Three-year starter for Seneca High School
- State Runner Up
- 2005 and 2006 All Conference Selection
- 2004, 2005, and 2006 All South Jersey selection in swimming
- Member of National Honors Society
Grovatt on Virginia: "The University of Virginia has everything you could ever want in a school. The coaching staff is outstanding. Coach O'Connor has made Virginia one of the elite baseball programs in the nation. I feel that the talented Cavalier coaching staff can help me succeed at the next level. The academics are second to none and Charlottesville is a beautiful place to go to school. It is, without a doubt, the school that best fits me."
- Ranked 168th prospect in the country by Perfect Game
- 2006 Connecticut State Games Gold Medal
- 2006 New York State Empire Games - Silver Medal
- 2005 Beacon High School Tournament "Dawg Fest" MVP
- 2005 District 17 Senior League MVP
Lucas on Virginia:"There are three main reasons why I have chosen UVa as my college choice. First, the school is one of the best in the nation and I would love to be apart of the history and tradition in the school. With the academics that come with the school, I felt that this was the best school to continue my academics. With a degree from UVa, I believe that it will open doors for me in my career and leave me in a good position after I graduate. Secondly, the baseball program that Virginia has is one of the best in the country. With the coaching staff and the players at Virginia, I feel that they will be a powerhouse in the ACC for years to come and make yearly appearances in the college world series. Lastly, this university had all the aspects that I was looking for in a school. I am proud to say that the University of Virginia is my school of choice. "
- Ranked 154th prospect in the country by Perfect Game
- Three-year letter winner in baseball for Punxsutawney Area High School
- Helped Punxsutawney Area High School to three straight District 9 championships
- 2005 second team all Central Penn League
- Member of the National Honor Society
Mesoraco on Virginia: "I chose the University of Virginia for the opportunity to receive a quality education and the chance to be a part of a first class baseball program which continues to excel in every aspect."
- Rated 229th prospect in the country by Perfect Game
- 2006 first team All State
- 2006 TCIS All Conference first team
- 2005 second team all state
- Member of the National Honor Society
Morey on Virginia: "I chose the University of Virginia over several other schools to play on a nationally ranked team in the ACC, for its excellent academics, and also because of its location."
- All Metro Washington Post outfielder
- 2007 Team One Baseball Preseason All-American
- All Commonwealth District Outfielder
- Holds nine athletic school records at Colonial Forge High School
Parker on Virginia: "I chose the University of Virginia because it not only offers pristine education, but enables me to play baseball at one of the top baseball programs in the country. I will receive the necessary experiences at UVa to succeed in the real world, wherever life may take me."
- Ranked 78th in the country by Perfect Game
- 2006 All Academic Team
- 2006 second team All Central Region
- 2006 Clover Hill High School Team MVP
- 2006 first team All Dominion District
- 6-3 record, 1.24 ERA in 2006
Tierney on Virginia:"I chose the University of Virginia for its combination of outstanding academics, top of the line coaching staff, and the opportunity to play baseball in the ACC, which will help me to further develop as a person and a player."
- Ranked 123 in the country by Perfect Game
- 2005 member of Chicago White Sox Scout team
- Junior All- District Pitcher
- Three-time letterman
- Three-time Scholar Athlete Award
Wilson on Virginia:"I chose to attend the University of Virginia due to its unmatched combination of atmosphere, outstanding coaching staff, athletic excellence and academic excellence."
O'Connor on the Overall Recruiting Class:
"This class was very important for our program because we will lose so many key players off the 2007 squad, which includes eight seniors and a few juniors we stand a chance of losing to the professional draft. We needed players who could come in and immediately make an impact in the ACC. I am confident this group will make significant contributions early in their careers."
"As with every recruiting class, one of the biggest challenges in college baseball is dealing with the major league draft. A number of our signees have the ability to be professional draft picks in June. This is a special group and I believe all of these players are committed to earning a UVa degree, the college experience, and Cavalier Baseball."
"For our program to receive early commitments from these top players is a real credit to the success our players have achieved on the field, the excellent education offered at UVa, and the commitment our athletic administration has made to compete at the highest level of college baseball. Also, the efforts of our assistant coaches and current players during the recruiting process made the difference in landing this talented class. When prospects see the enthusiasm of our assistant coaches and how excited our current players are to be at the University of Virginia, I believe it makes a huge impact on their decision."