Sophomore Clement Gyan
Feb. 6, 2008
LEWISBURG, Pa. - The Bison men's and women's track and field teams are set to host the Bucknell Winter Classic, this Saturday, Feb. 9, at Gerhard Fieldhouse. Field events will begin at 10 a.m. and running events are scheduled to start at 11 a.m. Bucknell will welcome 13 visiting teams to the Winter Classic, as the Bison compete in their last meet before the Patriot League Championships, Feb. 22 - 24, in Lewisburg.
"This is our last meet before Patriot Leagues," said Bucknell head coach Kevin Donner, "It will be a big meet to decide who will make our 40-person roster as well as what events people will do at the league meet. Some people will use this meet as a tune-up and others will be trying to better their performances in their primary events."
Bison Men's Track and Field Notebook
At the Akron Open, Feb. 2 -
- Four Bucknell athletes notched IC4A standards. In the gold division for the 3,000-meter run, senior Wallace Campbell (Montgomery, Ala./Montgomery Acad.) notched an IC4A-qualifying career-best time of 8:14.27 for fourth place. His time was the eighth-fastest in Bucknell history. Freshman Guy Castranova (Trenton, N.J./Notre Dame) won the 400-meter dash (blue division) with the fourth-fastest time in Bucknell history, 49.18. In the blue division for the shot put, sophomore Timothy Medlock (Evan Mills, N.Y./Indian River) recorded an IC4A-qualifying distance for the sixth time this season, placing second with a mark of 52-1 ¾. Sophomore Kyle Anthony (Barryville, N.Y./Eldred Central) placed fourth in the gold division for the triple jump with an IC4A-qualifying distance of 47-3 ½. Anthony had already qualified for IC4A's in the event with his distance of 48-3/4 at the Bison Opener on Dec. 1.
- Sophomore A.J. Kizekai (Pawtucket, R.I./Blair Academy (N.J.)) ran a career-best time in the prelim for the 60-meter dash (gold division) placing 12th with the second-fastest time in program history, 7.07. Kizekai went on to place 23rd in the 200-meter dash (blue division), clocking a time of 23.05.
- In the final for the 60-meter hurdles (blue division), sophomore Andrew Yehl (Elizabethtown, Pa./Elizabethtown) ran a career-best time of 8.38 for fourth place and the second-fastest time in school history. He placed eighth in the prelim for the event with a time of 8.46.
- Freshman Drew Fitzgerald (Ballston Spa, Pa./Ballston Spa) tied his career-best mark in the high jump (blue division) of 6-6 ¾, the eighth-best height in program history, to place second in the event. Fitzgerald went on to place seventh in the blue division for the pole vault (13-7 ¼).
- Sophomore Conor McNamara (Baldwin, N.Y./Chaminade) led the Bison in the mile (blue division), placing second with a time of 4:18.36. Senior Brian Mooney (Rochester, NY/Gates-Chili) took eighth in the 800-meter run (blue division) with a time of 1:54.74. In the 3,000-meter run (blue division) junior Clinton Orloski (Butler, Pa./Slippery Rock) took fifth in 8:39.75 while freshman Stephen Dorsey (North Wales, Pa./Casalle Collegiate) led the Bison in the 5,000-meter run (blue division). He placed fourth with a time of 15:21.66.
- Bucknell's 4x400 relay team of Anthony, sophomore Clement Gyan (Yonkers, N.Y./Abraham Lincoln), junior Kerry Boyle (Hazleton, Pa./Hazleton) and junior Kevin Macleod (East Longmeadow, Mass./East Longmeadow) took ninth with a time of 3:20.87.
- Senior James Meyer (Pac. Palisades, Calif./Pacific Palisades) led the Bison in the weight throw (blue division) with a distance of 52-5 ½ for 10th place. In the triple jump (blue division), freshman Daniel Kubinski (Erie, Pa./Cathedral Preparatory School) took third with a distance of 42-5 ¼. Senior David Mante (Warwick, NY/Warwick Valley) finished fifth in the gold division for pole vault (15-1).
IC4A-Qualifying Times This Season -
- Kyle Anthony - long jump (23-2 ¾; Bison Opener); triple jump (48-3/4; Bison Opener)
- Ryan White - heptathlon (4,828; Bison Opener)
- David Mante - pole vault (15-9; Bison Opener)
- Distance Medley Relay - Kyle Ramer, John Picardo, Brian Mooney, Wallace Campbell - (10:14.89; Gulden Relays)
- Timothy Medlock - shot put (52-3 ¾; Bucknell Heptagonal)
- Kerry Boyle - 400-meter dash (47.56; PSU National Invitational)
- Kevin Macleod - 400-meter dash (49.00; PSU National Invitational)
- Wallace Campbell - Mile (4:10.00; PSU National Invitational); 3,000-meter run (8:14.27; Akron Open)
- Kyle Ramer - 1,000-meter run (2:29.44; PSU National Invitational)
Top-10 All-Time This Season -
- 60-meter hurdles - Kevin Macleod (8.34; No. 1 all-time; Bison Opener); Andrew Yehl (8.38; No. 2 all-time; Akron Open), Ryan White (8.69; No. 9 all-time; Gulden Relays)
- 60-Meter Dash - A.J. Kizekai (7.07; No. 2 all-time; Akron Open); Kerry Boyle (7.17; No. 4 all-time; Bison Opener); Jason Davis (7.18; No. 5 all-time; Akron Open); Kevin Macleod (7.19; No. 6 all-time; Bison Opener)
- 200-meter Dash - Andrew Yehl (22.66; No. 7 all-time; PSU National Invitational)
- 300-meter Dash - Andrew Yehl (36.49; No. 7 all-time; Bison Opener)
- 400-meter Dash - Kerry Boyle (47.56; No. 1 all-time; PSU National Invitational); Kevin Macleod (49.00; No. 2 all-time; PSU National Invitational); Guy Castranova (49.18; No. 4 all-time; Akron Open)
- Mile - Wallace Campbell (4:10.00; No. 10 all-time; PSU National Invitational)
- 3,000-meter run - Wallace Campbell (8:14.27; No. 8 all-time; Akron Open)
- 4x400 Relay - Clement Gyan, Kyle Anthony, Guy Castranova, Kerry Boyle (3:20.21; No. 10 all-time; Gulden Relays)
- High Jump - Drew Fitzgerald (6-6 ¾; No. 8 all-time; Bucknell Heptagonal/Akron Open)
- Pole Vault - David Mante (15-9; No. 2 all-time; Bison Opener)
- Shot Put - Timothy Medlock (52-3 ¾; No. 2 all-time; Bucknell Heptagonal)
In the Rankings -
- The Bucknell men's track and field team was picked third in the Patriot League's preseason poll, announced Dec. 6. The Bison tallied 70 points to place third, following Army (10 first-place votes) and Navy (six first-place votes), who tied for first with 90 points. Rounding out the list was American in fourth (64 points), Lehigh in fifth (47 points), Lafayette in sixth (43 points), Colgate in seventh (28 points) and Holy Cross in eighth (16 points).
2007-08 Honors -
- Macleod was named Patriot League Track Athlete of the Week on Dec. 11, after setting a new school record in the preliminaries for the 60-meter hurdles at the Bison Opener. He ran a time of 8.34 seconds, surpassing his own record of 8.36, set last season. MacLeod placed third out of 29 athletes in the prelim for the event.
- Sophomore Kyle Anthony (Barryville, N.Y./Eldred Central) was named the league's Field Athlete of the Week on Dec. 11, after winning two events at the Bison Opener, posting IC4A-qualifying marks in each. He took first in the long jump (23 feet, 2 ¾ inches) and went on to win the triple jump (21-6 ¼). This is the second-consecutive season that Anthony has won both events at the Bison Opener.
- On Dec. 1, Anthony earned Damon's Bison Athlete of the Week honors for his performance at the Bison Opener.
Looking Ahead -
- Following this weekend's meet, Bucknell will prepare to host the 2008 Patriot League Indoor Track and Field Championships, Feb. 22 - 24. The IC4A Championships are set for March 1 - 2 in Boston, Mass., and the NCAA Championships are scheduled for March 14 - 15 in Fayetteville, Ark.