Swimming & Diving
  Tennis M | W
  Track and Field
  Ultimate
  Volleyball M | W
  Water Polo M | W
Tuesday @ The Rink

CHAT LIVE With Wisconsin goaltender Brian Elliott

Welcome to the CSTV.com moderated chat room!

On Tuesday, January 2 at 2:00 p.m. ET, Wisconsin goaltender Brian Elliott enters the chatroom at "Tuesday @ The Rink", presented by CSTV.com and USCHO.com. The Badgers visit Denver on Friday, January 5 at 9:30 p.m. ET on CSTV.

Brian Elliott

Brian Elliott led the nation in every significant goaltending category in 2005-06, including winning percentage (.814, 27-5-3), goals-against average (1.55), and save percentage (.938) while his eight shutouts tied for the national lead. His performace last season earned him a spot in the Hobey Hat Trick as a finalist for the 2006 Hobey Baker Award.

Elliott backstopped the Badgers' run to the Frozen Four last season, recording a three-game postseason shutout streak that included both games of the NCAA Midwest Regional. For his efforts in Green Bay, which included 40 saves in a 1-0 triple-overtime win over Cornell, Elliott was named the NCAA Midwest Regional Most Outstanding Player. In all, Elliott went 269:52 of action without allowing a goal, setting new UW and WCHA records. The string topped one of the oldest records in league history, besting the 249:41 set by North Dakota's Gerald `Spike' Schultz during the 1953-54 season.

With eight shutouts in 2005-06, Elliott shattered the previous school record of four, and his 13 career shutouts are a school record as well. He also set new school single-season records for goals-against average and save percentage. With two shutouts in the 2006 NCAA tournament, Elliott tied the single-season and career records for shutouts in NCAA tournament games.

Brian was chosen in the ninth round of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft (291st overall) by the Ottawa Senators and is a native of Newmarket, Ontario.

** GET YOUR QUESTIONS IN NOW!!: Brian won't be stopping by until 2:00 p.m. EST on Tuesday, January 2nd, and his time will be limited, so feel free to submit your questions now and we'll save them for his arrival!
CSTV.com Moderator: Welcome to the second of our "Tuesday @ the Rink" chats, presented by CSTV.com and USCHO. We're joined now by Wisconsin goaltender Brian Elliott.
Brian Elliott: Hi, I'm looking forward to answering your questions.

MB (Fort Defiance): I am a huge huge fan. We all know what an outstanding goaltender you are! Do you think that when you are in goal that the team counts on you a bit too much? Besides having a different team in front of you, and not having as much success as last year, what is different about this year?
Brian Elliott: As far as being counted on more than last year, I think that the one reason we aren't as successful that is guys aren't playing their roles and are trying to do too much, and what we need to get back to is playing your role and knowing that if everyone does that, we can be successful. As for what's different about this year, for me, it's my senior year, and it's your team. Last year, it was Burish and Gilbert and all those guys, but this year, it's our year, and we need to prove something.

Mike (Madison): What is the state of the team morale given the results that you all have had so far this season?
Brian Elliott: It's been very good. The coaching staff and all the players know what kind of a team we can be, and we have the skills and we have the team to do great things. It's just getting all on the same page and clicking, and we've seen bits and pieces of that through games this year. We just haven't put together a full weekend of it. But overall, the morale is good, and we're confident that we can have a good second half.

WM (SW Michigan): Hey Brian, What was your thoughts on the alternate jersey you wore this past weekend?
Brian Elliott: I thought they were really cool, a little bit different than what we've had in the past for a third jersey, but I think they did a good job with them. I don't know what they'll do with them now, but maybe, hopefully, they'll auction them off for charity or something.

Don(Minnesota): Brian, after suffering a major leg injury, did you have to alter your style of play and do you have any rituals or superstitions that you follow before a game?
Brian Elliott: As for the injury, there's been no changes in style or anything. We all have superstitions, and goalies usually have the biggest ones, but one of my biggest is to not tell anyone my superstitions.

John (Commerce Twp., MI): What is the toughest part of staying in the top part of the WCHA year to year.
Brian Elliott: The toughest part is the teams. Every year, it's a toss-up who's going to be in that top five for home ice in the playoffs, and looking at it into the second half here this year, we know that that's our goal, and it's going to be tough every weekend, and they only get tougher as the season goes on.

Brad (Green Bay, WI): Brian, congrats on a spectacular year last year! What was the deciding factor in coming back to Wisconsin for one more year instead of going pro?
Brian Elliott: The Ottawa Senators didn't want to sign me this year, but even if they did, it would be a tough decision. As far as that goes, some things aren't up to you always.

Bryan (Mn): What is the biggest surprise in the WCHA this year in your Opinion?
Brian Elliott: I think the biggest surprise is just how competitive it is from top to bottom. If you look at the standings right now, no one could have predicted how it would fall at the halfway point, but that's a good thing for our league and having that competitive nature is what we need to keep up through the history of the WCHA and into the future.

Chad Z. (Green Bay): Congrats on the NCAA title and triple OT thriller vs. Cornell here last year. How much can you here on the ice from opposing fans/students?
Brian Elliott: It depends on the venue, but usually, you just tune that stuff out. One of the most famous hockey quotes is, "A boo on the road is a cheer," so when you hear that, you know your team is doing well.

Sara (Berlin): It must be hard to have a challenging season after the success you had last year. How are you personally dealing with how things have gone so far this year?
Brian Elliott: Obviously, things don't go as planned after a season like we had last year, but we knew things were going to be different to get to where we wanted. the team's success is really the primary goal, and we know it's going to be, as Coach said, a different road to the top of the mountain.

Justin (Bangor, ME.): What team that you have not yet faced this year would you love to have a shot at before the playoffs/frozen four?
Brian Elliott: I think I'd like to play Notre Dame. I got a chance to talk with one of our players that left our team a couple of years ago and now plays for Notre Dame, and he says they play a similar system. I think it would be a fun challenge to play them.

Dwayne (Lisbon): Sweeping opponents in the second half of any WCHA season is always tough. So what will it take for the Badgers to get a home playoff berth?
Brian Elliott: We talked about it as a team this week. We're going to need to get points every weekend, no matter how many they are. But if we do that, getting one, two, three or four, we'll have a good chance going into the playoffs.

John (ND): Where is the most intimidating place you have played in your career?
Brian Elliott: It's not as if places are intimidating. I look at it as more of a challenge, but the biggest challenges are when you go into a rink like Minnesota's as a rival, and North Dakota. Whenever you're on the road, you know you're not at home, and it's going to be a tough game no matter where you are.

Sam (Madison): What is your major and will you be finishing this year?
Brian Elliott: I'm in the business school working on a marketing degree, and I'll be finishing up with one class in the summer, so I'll be walking in May.

Cameron Healy King City,Ontario Canada: Brimiss,do you miss Newmarket and Canada.....? What do you plan to do after your hockey career is over? p.s. Goalie Coach Ken Boyce says hi
Brian Elliott: Tell Kenny I say hi back to him and his family. Obviously, you miss your hometown and your friends, but one thing about the game of hockey is that it gives you opportunities that don't come around in any other aspect of life. I'm really happy for my time at Wisconsin. It's gone by quicker than I expected, but whatever I learn here at school and through the relationships that you make will ultimately determine the future after hockey.
CSTV.com Moderator: That's all the time we have with Brian this afternoon.
Brian Elliott: Thanks for having me on, and I hope I got most of your questions answered.
CSTV.com Moderator: That'll do it for this week's "Tuesday @ the Rink" chats, but keep checking back for information on next week's guests. Also, don't forget that you can watch Brian and the Badgers take on No. 10 Denver this Friday on CSTV at 9:30 p.m. ET, and Northern Michgan against Ferris State on Saturday at 8 p.m. ET.

fanstore.com
shop now
T-shirts, caps, jerseys, collectibles and much more...
shop now

fanstore.com
featured product
T-shirts, caps, jerseys, collectibles and much more...
shop now

auctions
Hundreds of items for auction.
bid now