Swimming & Diving
  Tennis M | W
  Track and Field
  Ultimate
  Volleyball M | W
  Water Polo M | W
Tuesday @ The Rink

CHAT LIVE With Colorado College Forward Brett Sterling

Welcome to the CSTV.com moderated chat room!

On Tuesday, December 27 at 2:00 p.m. ET, Colorado College forward Brett Sterling pays a visit to "Tuesday @ The Rink", presented by CSTV.com and USCHO.com. Sterling currently leads the nation in goals and points.

Brett Sterling

Following up on an outstanding 2004-05, Brett Sterling is staking his claim as college hockey's best player, as he currently leads Division I in goals and points.

A first-team All-American, Academic All-American and Hobey Baker Award top-three finalist last season, Sterling led the nation with 34 goals and 18 power-play goals, and finished second nationally to linemate Marty Sertich in overall scoring with 63 points. He was named Most Valuable Player at the WCHA Final Five after scoring twice and adding an assist in CC's 3-0 semifinal victory over Minnesota. Sterling led CC with 16 goals in 2003-04 and scored 27 goals as a freshman in 2002-03.

Brett was selected by the Atlanta Thrashers in the fifth round of the 2003 NHL draft. He graduated from Pioneer High School in Ann Arbor, Mich., and was ranked first in his class with a 4.2 GPA.

** GET YOUR QUESTIONS IN NOW!!: Brett won't be stopping by until 2:00 p.m. EST on Tuesday, December 27th, and his time will be limited, so feel free to submit your questions now and we'll save them for his arrival!
CSTV.com Moderator: Welcome back to "Tuesday @ The Rink". We are now joined by Colorado College forward Brett Sterling.
Brett Sterling: Hi, everyone. I'm happy to be here.

Matt (East Lansing, MI): How will it feel to play close to home again in an arena that has had so many great NHL and college games played in it?
Brett Sterling: It will be nice to get back to Michigan, where I played for two years. It will be a thrill to play in an arena where so many great NHL and hockey legends have played.

Jerry (Colorado Springs): Brett - It's been fun watching you again this season. I've noticed that nearly every time there's a scuffle near your opponent's net that you seem to be in the midst of it. Do you intentionally try to get under your opponents' skin or is it simply because you're always driving to the net? Good luck the rest of the season!
Brett Sterling: A little bit of both. I like to drive the net because that is where the puck usually ends up. But there is nothing wrong with getting your opponents a little upset, as long as you remain level headed.

Jon (Aurora): You have 1 goal and 0 assists in 18 games against Denver. What do you contribute to your inability to score against your rival? Is Denver just that good at covering you?
Brett Sterling: It is tough to find an answer. Denver does a great job covering me. I just have struggled to score against them. This year in particular, I have had several open nets and couldn't convert. You can't get too upset, though, as long as you are getting the chances.

Matt (Rochester, MN): Brett, firsted off your my favorite college hockey player and secondly, you are about to start the second half of your final season at CC, what are your thoughts on this season and your career at CC. Good luck in the GLI.
Brett Sterling: This season has been awesome. It has been a bit of a roller coaster for the team, but every year is different. You have to just keep going and find that chemistry for each particular team. I have had a blast overall at CC. I've been involved with some great teams and hope to end my career on a high note.

Lyndsay (Grand Forks, ND): Although I am a huge Sioux fan, I gotta say I love watching you play (and that's tough for me to admit that I like a non-Sioux player haha)...anyways, With the WCHA being such a dominant league, especially last year with the frozen four being all-WCHA, how do you think that plays to your advantage or disadvantage as a team fighting for post season contention? Also, I noticed you're a pretty small guy. Even though the numbers obviously tell me different, have you ever found your size to be a disadvantage? Good Luck this season (except for when you're playing the Sioux) and if I weren't just a college student, you'd definitely get my vote for the Hobey :D
Brett Sterling: Playing in the WCHA is definitely an advantage. There are so many good teams that make the postseason from the league, that you get accustomed to that level of play for a good part of your season. However, it does make every game during the year that much more important. I don't mind being a smaller guy. Yes, it can hurt you in people's minds, but being discounted by people also can make you want it that much more. I love it when people tell me I can't do something. It just makes me want it that much more.

Lizzy from Chicago: You've been injured a lot throughout your career, can you tell us how you've been able to overcome adversity to put up such great numbers?
Brett Sterling: You can't worry about what has happened. Injuries are a part of the game, especially when you play in traffic and right in front of the net. But, you work twice as hard and do what the doctors tell you. Once you get back on the ice, you don't play scared. You play just as hard, if not harder, than before.

Jonathan (Lafayette Hill, PA): Hi Brett - I enjoy seeing you & CC play at the CSWA whenever I am in town (about 3x per season). 2 questions: Your consistent performance is remarkable. How do you prepare (physically/mentally) for the rigors of WCHA hockey during the offseason? #2 - How much did it help you in your Freshman year coming into the WCHA having such a talented upperclass at CC when you arrived? Best of Luck the rest of the season!!
Brett Sterling: During the offseason, I work out four times a week, try and skate once or twice a week. Basically, my whole goal is to get stronger in the offseason and not lose any of my hands or my skating. I try to eat as best I can and not let my body get rundown during the summer. When I got here, it helped unbelievably to play with the upperclassmen that were here. It made my life real easy. Not only did they bring me along as a player and a person, but they helped me gain confidence from the first game though the end of the season.

Shawny (Colorado Springs): Do you miss playing on a line with Marty lately? It seems that you still play very well with him on the Power Play. Do you think you'll be back on a line with him before the season is up?
Brett Sterling: Of course, I miss playing with Marty. Who wouldn't want to play on a line with a Hobey Baker winner and someone who has unbelievable vision and great skill? Luckily, I've been able to play with him on the power play, so it is not like I never get to play with him. As for playing with him later this year, I have no idea what our coaches are going to do with that. My new linemates, Joey Crabbe and Chad Rau, are great players and a blast to play with. So, your guess is as good as mine.

Trevor (Seattle): Brett, How do you like the Tigers chances against Michigan this weekend? Congrats on a great season! Beat Du! :) Best of luck. '95 alum
Brett Sterling: I like our chances. Michigan is a good team and we have had some great games with them since I have been at CC. I look forward to a great Tournament overall and the opportunity to play at Joe Louis.

Tower MN: Brett, What do you thinkg the chances are for CC to capture the prize of its first National Title since '57 and what does the team need to do in order to make it happen?
Brett Sterling: I think we have a great chance to make it to the Frozen Four and a shot at the national title. The great thing about college hockey is that it comes down to who plays the best at the end of the season. I think that our team has to continue the way we've been playing the last two weeks before Christmas. We have the talent. It is just a matter of bringing it all together at the right time.
CSTV.com Moderator: That is all the time we have with Brett this afternoon.
Brett Sterling: Thanks for all the great questions. I appreciate the time. Thanks for supporting CC hockey.
CSTV.com Moderator: Join us again next week for another edition of "Tuesday @ The Rink". Check back to find out who our guests will be.

fanstore.com
shop now
T-shirts, caps, jerseys, collectibles and much more...
shop now

fanstore.com
featured product
T-shirts, caps, jerseys, collectibles and much more...
shop now

auctions
Hundreds of items for auction.
bid now