Tuesday @ The Rink

CHAT LIVE With Junior National Team Head Coach John Hynes

Welcome to the CSTV.com moderated chat room!

On Tuesday, December 18 at 1:00 p.m. ET, USA Hockey Junior National Team head coach John Hynes enters the chatroom at "Tuesday @ The Rink", presented by CSTV.com and USCHO.com. Hynes, the head coach of USA Hockey's National Team Development Program Under-18 team, will coach the U.S. team at the 2008 World Junior Championship, beginning December 26 in Pardubice and Liberec, Czech Republic.

John Hynes

John Hynes is in his fifth season with USA Hockey's National Team Development Program. He has amassed a career record of 138-97-9-8 (W-L-T-OTL).

Hynes guided the U.S. National Under-18 Team to a gold medal at the 2006 International Ice Hockey Federation World Under-18 Championship in Angelholm, Sweden, after previously earning a gold medal at the 2002 IIHF World Under-18 Championship as an assistant to Mike Eaves. The 2002 championship was the first gold medal for the United States in an A-Pool IIHF World Championship - excluding the Olympics - since 1933. Hynes also earned a silver medal in as head coach of the U.S. National Under-18 Team in 2004.

Hynes began his coaching career at his alma mater, Boston University, in 1997 as a graduate assistant under legendary coach Jack Parker. That season he helped guide the Terriers to the Hockey East Association regular-season title and a berth in the NCAA tournament. During the 1998-99 and 1999-2000 seasons, Hynes served as a graduate assistant coach with the NTDP, where he worked with both the U.S. National Under-17 and Under-18 Teams. During that time, he served as a member of the coaching staff for Team USA at the 1999 and 2000 IIHF World Under-18 Championships. In addition to his role behind the bench, Hynes was responsible for the strength and conditioning regimen of both teams.

He spent the 2000-01 season at the University of Massachusetts Lowell as an assistant coach, helping the River Hawks reach the finals of the Hockey East tournament. Hynes then returned to the NTDP in 2001, where he served as an assistant coach under Eaves with the U.S. National Under-18 Team.

Just prior to his current appointment in Ann Arbor, Hynes served as an assistant coach at the University of Wisconsin under Eaves. Hynes again served under Eaves with the gold-medal-winning U.S. National Junior Team at the 2004 IIHF World Junior Championship in Helsinki, Finland, marking the first-ever gold medal for the United States at the event.

In 2006, Hynes earned the honor of being named an assistant coach for the IIHF World Junior Championship, this time under Head Coach Walt Kyle. Team USA finished fourth in the event held in Vancouver, B.C., Canada.

A 1997 graduate of Boston University, Hynes was a three-year letter winner for the Terriers as a forward and participated in four straight NCAA Frozen Four tournaments. The highlight of his collegiate playing career came when the Terriers captured the 1995 NCAA Division I National Championship in front of his hometown crowd in Providence, R.I. Hynes earned a bachelor's degree from BU in health and physical education.

Hynes resides in Dexter, Mich., with his wife, Sarah, and their daughter, Sophia.

** GET YOUR QUESTIONS IN NOW!!: John won't be stopping by until 1:00 p.m. EST on Tuesday, December 18th, and his time will be limited, so feel free to submit your questions now and we'll save them for his arrival!
CSTV.com Moderator: Hello, and welcome to the last CSTV.com "Tuesday @ the Rink" of 2007. We're going out with a bang, as we have two great chats today. Let's get started. We're joined now by U.S. Under-18 team head coach John Hynes, who will coach the U.S. Junior National Team at the World Junior Championship in the Czech Republic beginning December 26.
John Hynes: Nice to have the opportunity to be on the chat, and I'd like to thank you for taking the time, effort, and interest in the Junior National Team.

Chuck T (Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ): Do you plan to play a defensive- shot blocking style with this club similar to what helped you win the U-18 gold in '06, or are you going to open it up a bit?
John Hynes: There are some elements in our style that helped us be successful, and we will build off of those, but we will not completely rely on the same style of play. We have to grow from that.

Max (New York): Is the fact that so many of the players on the WJC team are NTDP alumni being looked at as a plus in terms of team chemistry?
John Hynes: I always think that it's important for players in a short tournament like this one to have had some history together, and the majority of those players are from the Development Program, but the players who aren't have also been invovled in our Under-20 summer camp, and have also been involved in other U.S. teams, and I think that those factors will be important in our team chemistry also.

J Hamre (Blake, Minn.): What is the major challenge in getting guys from accross the country to buy into your systems and believe in the cling sheets?
John Hynes: The major challenge is being able to present our team concepts and core values in a timely fashion that captures the players' attention, and then, it's the players' accountability to uphold those concepts and values on a daily basis.

Eddie (New Hampshire): What is the biggest strength of your team that you've found so far?
John Hynes: Desire to play the game and compete. I think they're a very attentive, energetic, and competitive group of players.

Dave (Minnesota): Coach, what do your lines look like for the exhibition game tonight? How much did previous experience playing together, either in camp or on campus, play in what you've come up with?
John Hynes: We're going to try to have four lines balanced and eight defensemen. Some of the line combinations will be based off of past history, whether that's where they've come from or on other national teams.

Jon (Minnesota): What does Mike Carman's experience at the Deutschland Cup bring to this team?
John Hynes: It's another international experience. Playing against and with professional players helped him understand and experience a high level of play, physically and mentally, in preparation for the World Junior tournament.

houston.: Coach, I'm takeing 3 teams to Ann Arbor for a MLK touney. Pee Wees and Midgets. Hoping to get a tour of the NTDP. Maybe peek some intrest in the younger kids.. Thanks Stachowiak
John Hynes: Thank you for the efforts to bring in and expose young players to the National Team Development Program. The process to get a tour and information would be to contact Ryan Ryzmierski. He is the Director of Player Personnel for the National Team Development Program.

John (Minneapolis): Hi John - thanks for stopping by. Just wondering why Ben Smith wasnt selected to the team. At the time of the roster announcement he had more points and was more valuable to his team than every other forward you selected. Can you explain your reasoning?
John Hynes: Ben Smith was a difficult player to make a decision on. He is of the highest character. He is skilled, he's competitive, he understands the game well. He's an elite player. We had to choose 22 players out of a large pool. Every year, there are excellent players that are not on the National Junior Team for different reasons.
CSTV.com Moderator: Please bear with us, folks, having a bit of technical difficulties.

Steve (Boston): You played for Coach Parker at BU. Seeing his teams now, do you think his coaching style has changed at all or are his teams similar to the ones you played for during your days at BU?
John Hynes: I think that Coach Parker has evolved. I've had the opportunity to coach against Boston University two out of the last three years, and each time that we've played Boston University, they've presented us with different challenges, which shows me that Coach Parker, Mike Bavis and David Quinn are adding and subtracting things from year to year, which is a good thing. Having had the opportunity to talk to Coach Parker regularly, his passion for coaching and developing the players is no different than when I was there.
CSTV.com Moderator: That's about all we have with Coach Hynes this afternoon. The team has an exhibition tonight against Western Michigan.
John Hynes: Thank you again for the time and effort to send in the questions. It was an enjoyable chat. Happy Holidays!
CSTV.com Moderator: That'll do it for the first of our "Tuesday @ the Rink" chats this afternoon. We'll see you at the top of the hour with our Writers' Round Table for the First Half Wrap-Up.