#content table{ margin-left: 10px; width:80%; } Tuesday @ The Rink

CHAT LIVE With RPI Head Coach Seth Appert

Welcome to the CSTV.com moderated chat room!

On Tuesday, December 11th at 2:00 p.m. ET, Rensselaer Head Coach Seth Appert enters the chatroom at "Tuesday @ The Rink", presented by CSTV.com and USCHO.com. The Engineers will host Miami University in a two-game series on December 15-16.

Seth Appert

Seth Appert is in his second season as the head coach of the men's hockey program, having led Rensselaer to a 10-18-8 overall record in 2006-07.

Highlights of Appert's first season included leading his team to victory in the inaugural Governor's Cup Championship - Rensselaer's first title of any kind since 1998 - and garnering points against five nationally-ranked opponents. Among those was the team's first win of the season, which came at the University of Denver - Appert's previous employer that was ranked 11th at the time. The Engineers, who opened the season with a 4-1-3 record, also enjoyed a stint in the national polls themselves. Individually, senior defenseman Jake Luthi earned All-League honors while classmate Kirk MacDonald, a forward, garnered USCHO.com's Unsung Hero Award, as well as many national community service honors.

In addition to his position at RPI, Appert also served as an assistant coach for the 2007 U.S. Under-18 Select Team that competed in the Memorial of Ivan Hlinka Tournament from August 14-18 in Piestany, Slovakia and Hodonin, Czech Republic

Prior to joining Rensselaer, Appert, the 12th head men's hockey coach in the storied program's history, spent nine seasons as an assistant coach at Denver, where he was responsible for recruiting, on-ice coaching, video breakdown, and game analysis work. He also played a big role in the development of the Pioneers' goaltenders.

Prior to joining Rensselaer, Appert spent nine seasons as an assistant coach at the University of Denver, where he was responsible for recruiting, on-ice coaching, video breakdown, and game analysis work. He also played a big role in the development of Denver's goaltenders. A collegiate netminder at Ferris State University, Appert individually coached one All-American, two All-Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA) honorees, two WCHA Playoff Most Valuable Players, and two Frozen Four Most Outstanding Players at Denver. Three of his goaltenders were draft picks of the National Hockey League, including one Hobey Baker Award finalist. Two of those netminders played in the NHL last season.

A four-year letterwinner at Ferris State from 1992-96, Appert and his wife, Jill, have two daughters, Addison, who is three, and Campbell, who was born in June.

** GET YOUR QUESTIONS IN NOW!!: Seth won't be stopping by until 2:00 p.m. EST on Tuesday, December 11th, and his time will be limited, so feel free to submit your questions now and we'll save them for his arrival!
CSTV.com Moderator: Hello, and welcome back to "Tuesday @ the Rink" on CSTV.com, presented by CSTV and USCHO. We're joined now by RPI head coach Seth Appert.
Seth Appert: Thanks for having me on. I look forward to answering to your questions, and I appreciate your interest in RPI and in college hockey in general.

Petey (D-Town): How do you always look so professionally sharp? Your appearance and your hair is very slick does this make rectruiting easier?
Seth Appert: I wish it did. You learn from Coach Gwozdecky, one of the best dressed in college hockey. You always want to have a professional, polished image for both your university and your hockey program.

Walter (Troy): I was wondering if there is a specific reason Malchuck has seen limited ice time this season,does he fit into our future plans,and if so how?
Seth Appert: Joel is injured currently, but was playing a very good game, probably the best he'd played here in his young career, against Princeton before he got injured. There's no question that he fits in our future plans. Some freshmen just have a longer adjustment period.

Chris (Troy): could you tell me, if you know yet, if you will continue the rotating goalies? this weekend vs Miami (OH)
Seth Appert: We haven't made that decision yet. I've always said that if one goaltender starts to separate himself, he will play. We've received very good goaltending from both Jordan and Mathias. Mathias got the last start against Harvard because he's been the sharper goaltender in the last month, but we'll make those decisions as we get closer to gametime this weekend.

Joe: Do you think the current goal-judge system is sufficient or do you think there needs to be some way to have an instant replay if a goal may have been scored and the officials missed it?
Seth Appert: I think, to the best of our abilities, I would like to use video replay as technology becomes more available. Goals are tough enough to come by, and instant replay should be used when technologically available.

John: Coach: What is the status of JFK's wrist injury?
Seth Appert: There's a possibility that he can play this weekend. He's getting closer to full strength, and we're hoping that he will be able to play at least one of the games this weekend.

Keith (Clifton Park, NY): How important is getting a major non-conference win over a team like Miami, CC, UMass or Notre Dame in terms of the team's goals for this season?
Seth Appert: It's not as important as winning league games, but we made this schedule for a purpose, and the purpose was to expose ourselves to the best teams in the country. We've been very competitive in those games against Minnesota, Notre Dame, and Boston College, but we have found way to lose those games in the last five minutes, and now, as we continue to develop, we want to take the next step from being competitive to finding a way to win in those games.

TBone (Troy): RPI has arguably one of the toughest out of conference schedules this season. Has that helped with recruiting or has it been a hindrance?
Seth Appert: It's helped dramatically. That's another reason we had the schedule. Playing teams like that not only excites our current players, but it makes a statement to our recruits and future recruits about how we see ourselves that we want to be a national player. We expect to compete for national championships at RPI, and we hope to be doing so in the near future.

Fred (Kamloops): Do you expect any more recruits for next fall, or are you concentrating on '09 now? Also, what do you see as keys for competinng against Miami this coming weekend?
Seth Appert: Our main focus is on 2009, and we really already have our wish list for that class, an now it's a matter of winning recruiting battles. At the same tiime, if you see a player who can bring something to your program that you currently lack or don't have enough of for the fall of 2008, you have to try to bring that player to your program as well.
Seth Appert: The keys against are to utilize our speed as a weapon offensively and defensively. When you look at the matchup, they have some matchup advantages. More depth of skill, a lot more experience in big games. They're a big, physical, puck protection team. One advantage we may have is our speed. We're a good transition team, that's how we play. We need to use our speed defensively to gain body position and not spend as much time in our own end.

Pierre (LaCoille, QC): What's been the biggest unexpected challenge you've faced since coming to Troy ?
Seth Appert: There really hasn't been any unexpected challenge. I think our former athletic director, Ken Ralph, our President, Dr. Jackson, and our vice president, Dr. Knowles gave me a very clear picture of the strengths of the university and the hockey program and some of the areas we need to improve upon. I had a clear picture and I appreciate that. At the same time, I think I've changed my coaching philosophy with how I approach player. We have very intelligent young men here, studying engineering, math, science and business, and a lot of them see things in black and white. I've given them more strcture away from the puck this year, because I think a lot of them see things in black and white.

Ted (Chicago): The PP seems to be moving the puck better lately, what's your take on how it is progressing?
Seth Appert: Slowly. We are executing and moving the puck better. It's still not where we want it to be. At the same time, we have a lot of power players, both as freshmen and upperclassmen, that are in that position for first time at the collegiate level. With that comes growing pains, but we do see some progress.

TBone (Troy): Anything you can tell us about next years schedule?
Seth Appert: Next year's schedule is close to complete. It looks promising that we will play Vermont in Quebec City. We will play New Hampshire. We will play in the Denver Cup, where I believe we will play Boston University in the first game. We also will play UMass at home. Our Thanksgiving tournament will have Northeastern, Princeton and Mercyhurst, and we will play Miami twice at Miami, so it will be another extremely competitive non-conference schedule.

TBone (Troy): Who has been the biggest surprise on the team this year? And if you had to give out an MVP award today, who would you give it to?
Seth Appert: We've received very good contributions from our freshmen, but I'm very pleased with the play of our upperclassmen, especially our three captains, Jake Morrissette, Jon Ornelas and Andrew Lord. Not only have they been effective in their play, but the work ethic they've set has really re-established the culture we want to have in our program.
CSTV.com Moderator: That is all the time we have with Coach Appert this afternoon, as he's about to meet with RPI's new athletic director.
Seth Appert: Thank you for the questions. I look forward to seeing many of you at the Field House this weekend against Miami.
CSTV.com Moderator: That'll do it for this week's "Tuesday @ the Rink," presented by CSTV and USCHO. Check out CSTV.com's Power Plays blog this weekend for updates from this weekend's games in the Capital District between Nebraska-Omaha and Union and RPI and Miami. Also, keep checking back for info on next week's guest. Thanks, and have a great week!