Tuesday @ The Rink

CHAT LIVE With Boston College forward Nathan Gerbe

Welcome to the CSTV.com moderated chat room!

On Tuesday, Novemebr 27 at 1:00 p.m. ET, Boston College forward Nathan Gerbe enters the chatroom at "Tuesday @ The Rink", presented by CSTV.com and USCHO.com. The No. 19 Eagles face rival Boston University in a home-and-home series this weekend.

Nathan

At 5'5", Nathan Gerbe fits into the time-honored profile of a Boston College forward, and over the course of his time at the Heights, he has also been one of the most successful in recent years.

As a sophomore in 2006-07, Gerbe was a second team All-Hockey East and first team All-New England after registering 47 points in 41 games on 25 goals and 22 assists. He was also named to the All-Tournament team at the NCAA Frozen Four. He led all Hockey East players in goals per game in conference play, and was named the conference's Player of the Month for February. After more than doubling his scoring from an 18-point freshman season, Gerbe shared the James E. Tiernan Memorial Award with classmate Brock Bradford as BC's most improved players. Gerbe has also played for the .S. in the last two World Junior Championships, winning a bronze medal in 2007.

A native of Oxford, Mich., Gerbe was selected in the fifth round (145th overall) by the Buffalo Sabres in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft. He is a communications major at Boston College.

** GET YOUR QUESTIONS IN NOW!!: Nathan won't be stopping by until 1:00 p.m. EST on Tuesday, November 27th, and his time will be limited, so feel free to submit your questions now and we'll save them for his arrival!
CSTV.com Moderator: Hello, and welcome to another edition of "Tuesday @ the Rink," brought to you by CSTV and USCHO. We have two great chats this afternoon, so let's get started. We're joined now by Boston College forward Nathan Gerbe.
Nathan Gerbe: Hi, glad to be here. Thanks for having me, and I'll be glad to answer any of the questions that come in.

Don(Boston): Who did you consider some of the best players you have played with or against?
Nathan Gerbe: Some of the best players I've played with at Boston College are guys like Brock Bradford and Benn Ferriero. Those two guys are elite players that I consider among the best I've played with. At World Juniors, I played with guys like Patrick Kane, Jack Johnson, Peter Mueller and Phil Kessel. Those are elite guys, clearly, and they're already making their mark in the NHL.

Allen (Ann Arbor): Your a Michigan kid, who did you decide on BC vs. going to Michigan or Michigan State?
Nathan Gerbe: I watched guys like Brian Gionta, Ben Eaves, and Ryan Shannon. Those are guys I tried to look up to, since they're similar to my size. Boston College has a great reputation for moving those guys along. Also, the coaching staff, Jerry York, Mike Cavanaugh, Greg Brown, and Jim Logue, words can't express how much they've done for me here, and I had a lot of respect for them after coming and visiting them and meeting them.

Andy (Boston): Nate, your ability to play at such a high level given your size is an inspiration to my son who is also small. I was wondering how you feel your size is an advantage to you and in what ways of your game you utilize this characteristic. What advice would you give to a small hockey player? Good Luck this year!
Nathan Gerbe: You always have to take positives out of every situation. You can you use your speed, and how quickly you can cut back on guys, and it's hard for them to get a hold of you. You can draw a lot of penalties and create a lot of excitement and chances in the game. The best advice I could give would be, don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it because of your size. You can if you put your heart into it.

George (Watertown): Does having struggled early last year before getting hot make you more confident that you can bounce back from your rough start this year?
Nathan Gerbe: From a team standpoint, we've been in this situation. Maybe not as bad, but we were struggling last year a bit, and questioning our team's ability. We have to remember that the season's a marathon, not a sprint. Last year, we got hot after Christmas break. Obviously, we want to be hot now, but we've just got to keep working and be patient.

steve: It seems like the scoring has been there for BC, and John Muse has played well. What's the key to putting it all together?
Nathan Gerbe: I think we've got to keep playing a little grittier. Getting to the net is our biggest priority right now, and if we do that, it'll create a lot of scoring chances, and hopefully we'll get some bounces. I think John Muse has answered any questions that anyone had about him. I think he's been great, and I think the team's got to pay attention to details more in the defensive zone.

Ryan (Allston): Do you think the BC/BU series comes at a good time for you guys because it brings out the best in you, and you've been struggling?
Nathan Gerbe: I think this weekend will be a lot of fun. BU has struggled too this year, and I think when these two teams collide, you get the best out of both teams, and hopefully, it'll kickstart our season.

Eric (Boston): With so many high-profile games early out of conference, was there any letdown getting into Hockey East play?
Nathan Gerbe: I think Hockey East is very strong this year. There are a lot of good teams. Merrimack and UMass have surprised people. Hockey East is the kind of league where you have to come to play every night, because anyone can beat anyone on any night.

Shawn (Dover): Where are your favorite places to play in Hockey East (other than Conte)?
Nathan Gerbe: I think playing at New Hampshire is a lot of fun. They've got a great atmosphere, and a good crowd, so it's a lot of fun. I think UMass was a lot of fun last time we were there. They had a good crowd. Maine's always fun to play at. It's a small building, and the crowd's right on top of you, so it's loud.

Ted (Boston): It seems like the league is always tough, how different is this year? Or is it just different teams right now?
Nathan Gerbe: I think a lot of teams improved this year. Obviously, the lower-end teams are doing well, and I think it's good for our league. I also think every two points matter so much, because it's going to be a battle to win Hockey East this year.

John (Boston): What's your best memory in a BC uniform so far?
Nathan Gerbe: My two favorite memories are advancing to the finals of the NCAA tournament, even though they didn't end the way we'd hoped. To get to that point was fun, and it was a good ride while we were there.
CSTV.com Moderator: That's all we have with Nate this afternoon.
Nathan Gerbe: Thank you for your questions, and have a nice day.
CSTV.com Moderator: That will do it for the first of our "Tuesday @ the Rink" chats this afternoon. Be sure to check CSTV.com's "Power Plays" blog on Friday for updates from the BC-BU game. We'll be back at the top of the hour with our Writers' Round Table.