Tuesday @ The Rink

CHAT LIVE With Boston University Forward Pete MacArthur

Welcome to the CSTV.com moderated chat room!

On Tuesday, November 20 at 1:00 p.m. ET, Boston University forward Pete MacArthur enters the chatroom at "Tuesday @ The Rink", presented by CSTV.com and USCHO.com. The Terriers face Cornell on Saturday, November 24, LIVE on CSTV.

Matt Gilroy

One of the most colorful personalities on the Boston University roster since his arrival, Pete MacArthur has also become an elite player for the Terriers.

The 2006-07 season saw MacArthur named a Second Team Hockey East All-Star for the second consecutive season, as the Clifton Park, N.Y. native led the Terriers in goals and assists with 16 and 20, respectively. MacArthur also led the Terriers in assists as a sophomore in 2005-06 with 25, and added 14 goals for a team high 39 points. He was also the MVP of the Beanpot that year after scoring the game-winner and adding an assist in the championship game, a 3-2 win over Boston College. As a freshman, MacArthur was named to the Hockey East All-Rookie Team after recording 27 points (13 goals, 14 assists).

The son of Bill and Belinda MacArthur, Pete is enrolled in BU's School of Education.

** GET YOUR QUESTIONS IN NOW!!: Pete won't be stopping by until 1:00 p.m. ET on Tuesday, November 20th, and his time will be limited, so feel free to submit your questions now and we'll save them for his arrival!
CSTV.com Moderator: Welcome back to "Tuesday @ the Rink," presented by CSTV and USCHO. We're joined now by Pete MacArthur, who will be on the ice Saturday night when the Terriers take on Cornell, live on CSTV from Madison Square Garden at 8 p.m. ET
Pete MacArthur: Thanks for having me on. I'm looking forward to answering your questions.

Grant (Elk River, MN): The loss of John Curry is looking monumental. Curry and my brother played youth hockey in Minnesota together, so I have followed how he did every year when he played at BU. It is astonishing this guy was a walk-on goaltender. Has your team changed it's game plan at at all knowing it is not him holding down the fort back there this season?
Pete MacArthur: I don't think we have changed the game plan too much. Other than taking a few more offensive chances, the d-zone, penalty kill, and neutral systems are the same as they have been. Curry was a great goalie, but no one has seen how good Bennett and Gillespie are yet. We see them everyday in practice and know how good they are. When they start getting more games under their belt, people won't be asking this question as much. We have great confidence in both of them to get the job done.

Alex (Lycoming, PA): Who is the best opposing player you've played against in college so far (goalie and non-goalie)?
Pete MacArthur: Cory Schneider was the best goalie. He just took away the entire net and made it look really easy. I'd say the best non-goalie would have to be Torrey Mitchell. He not only has a ton of skill but he was always the hardest worker on the ice and now he's in the show. I have a great amount of respect for each of them and it was fun battling against them for the past three years.

Jon (Peabody): What does your team need to start doing differently so that you be a more consistant hockey team?
Pete MacArthur: We just need to come focused and ready to play hard every night from the drop of the puck. If we do that, we have plenty of talent to win any game we are in. If we don't, we'll get crushed because hard work beats talent any day.

Matt (Boston): Who do you think the best team in Hockey East is as of right now?
Pete MacArthur: I would have to say that there isn't a best team in the league yet, but the hottest team as of now would be Northeastern. They play hard and smart and their goaltender can steal games for them. I have a great deal of respect for that club.

Ryan (Boston): Pete, it's great to see the BU offense finally get going after a slow start to the season; however, it seems like goaltending is becoming the bigger issue as of late. Teams rarely outshoot the Terriers, but nevertheless the goals keep piling up. How frustrating is this for you and the team, and what has to be done to instill some confidence in the defense and goaltenders? Good luck against Harvard tonight!
Pete MacArthur: We all have loads of confidence in our goaltenders and our defense. It's still a young season and neither one of the goalies has had a ton of games in the past couple years so they're still getting their feet wet, in a sense. The defense is also a pretty young core and they will only get better. We win, lose, and tie as a team. There are no worries in our locker room about any of the personnel.

Sam (Boston): Pete I know that you guys haven't had the start that most would have expected and I believe this may have something to do with getting familular with new teamates that may take some time and for a sort of fun question is there any one player that you may have played with before BU that you wished you could have brought with you? If so where does he play now?
Pete MacArthur: A longtime teammate of mine was Chris Greene. I played with him in Midget AAA back home and at Northwood Prep School for 2 years. We had that type of chemistry that can't be taught. He now plays for the Arizona Sun Dogs in the CHL. It would be fun to have him here but I wouldn't trade any of my teammates for him. Sorry buddy.

Mike Boston: Hey Pete, I've noticed that you have switched between center and left wing during your career as a Terrier. Which spot do you feel most comfortable playing and with which linemates? Go get those Crimson tonight!
Pete MacArthur: I feel a little more comfortable playing wing, because it allows me to use my speed more. I also feel that I understand the defensive responsibilities that come with being a winger. As far as linemates, I trust that whoever Coach Parker puts with me with, we have a chance to suceed. If you play hard, it really shouldn't matter who you're on a line with.

Mike Wakefield, MA: Hi Pete, Good luck tonight and Saturday at MSG. I'm sure this Saturday night in New York will be a great atmosphere. I was curious which arena that you have played in during your career at has been the best atmosphere. Keep the offense going!
Pete MacArthur: I'd have to say New Hampshire, because it's a lot like the rink in Waterloo (Young Arena). The fans react to everything that goes on, no matter whether they are winning or losing. They are always part of the game.

Rogie (Putnam, CT): Pete, as a freshman you guaranteed a national title at BU during your 4 years. Only this year left to back that guarantee. Do you wish you hadn't said that? Or do you think BU will win it this year?

Kellie (Boston): Hey Pete! So, I think your freshman year you promised us a championship before you graduated, you still promise to make good on that? Good Luck on the rest of the season!
CSTV.com Moderator: Some long memories out there...
Pete MacArthur: Looking back on it, it's probably something that I should have kept to myself, but what most people don't understand is that when I said it, I was referring to the confidence I had in my team and not in myself. Right now, however, I'm just worried about beating Harvard.

Kris (Boston): It's been mentioned that you turned down offers to turn pro in order to return to BU for your senior year. Former Terrier Rick DiPietro signed a 15 year/$67.5 million contract last year. If you were given the opportunity to sign a 15 year contract with any team in the NHL which team would you choose and why?
Pete MacArthur: If any team offered me a 15-year contract, I would be pumped. Just being given an opportunity to play in the NHL would be a great honor so it's difficult to choose one team out of 30. The Rangers have been my favorite since I was five so if I have to give you one, then I guess it's them.

Doug F. (Boston, MA): PMAC, HOW HAS YOUR OVERALL EXPERIENCE AT BU BEEN? WAS IT WHAT WAS EXPECTED IN TERMS OF SOCIAL, ACADEMIC, AND ATHLETIC EXPECTATIONS WHEN YOU COMMITTED TO THE TERRIERS?
Pete MacArthur: BU has been everything I expected it would be and more. I have made some friends for life in my time here and have gotten an invaluable education both in and out of the classroom. Obviously, athletics has been my favorite part. Hockey is my life and I couldn't imagine being anywhere else for the past 3 1/2 years.

Cindy (Medford, MA): Petey, 4 years later, are you happy with your choice to attend BU?
Pete MacArthur: I couldn't be happier. I'm getting a top-notch education and I get to play hockey at the best program in the country. Boston's also not a bad place to live. Go Pats.

Jeff (Boston): Petey, great job picking up your game the past couple of weeks. Even though you didn't get a letter, you are the heart and soul of our team. Keep up the good work!
Pete MacArthur: Thank you. I appreciate that very much. We will do our best to start piling up the wins.
CSTV.com Moderator: And on that note, we need to let Pete get going...he has a game to play tonight.
Pete MacArthur: Thanks so much for the questions. I had a great time. Go BU!
CSTV.com Moderator: That will do it for another edition of "Tuesday @ the Rink," presented by CSTV and USCHO. Don't forget that you can watch this Saturday's BU-Cornell game LIVE from Madison Square Garden at 8 p.m. ET on CSTV, and you can also follow it online with CSTV Pay Per View and get observations and commentary from CSTV.com's Power Plays blog.
CSTV.com Moderator: Be sure to keep checking back for info on next week's guests. Thanks, and have a great week. We'll see you next Tuesday "@ the Rink!"