Tuesday @ The Rink

CHAT LIVE With Boston University Defenseman Matt Gilroy

Welcome to the CSTV.com moderated chat room!

On Tuesday, October 23 at 1:00 p.m. ET, Boston University defenseman Matt Gilroy enters the chatroom at "Tuesday @ The Rink", presented by CSTV.com and USCHO.com. The Terriers travel to Michigan for a two-game series on October 26 and 27, with Friday's matchup airing LIVE on CSTV at 8 p.m. ET.

Matt Gilroy

After coming to Boston University as a walk-on, Matt Gilroy has quickly established himself as one of the top defensemen in college hockey.

A forward and leading scorer with the Walpole Jr. Stars in the EJHL, Gilroy moved to the blueline at BU, and after not playing in the team's first three games his freshman year, the native of North Bellmore, N.Y. became a regular in the Terrier lineup, and only missed one more game the rest of the season. He posted eight points on two goals and six assists, and led BU's defensive corps with a +21 plus/minus rating.

As a sophomore, Gilroy exploded for 26 points on nine goals and 17 assists, ranking fourth on the team. One of seven Terriers to appear in every game for BU last season, Gilroy raked in the postseason honors. Named BU's Most Improved Player, Gilroy was a First Team Hockey East All-Star, a New England All-Star and an RBK Second Team All-American.

The son of Frank and Peggy Ann Gilroy, Matt is enrolled in BU's College of Arts and Sciences.

** GET YOUR QUESTIONS IN NOW!!: Matt won't be stopping by until 1:00 p.m. ET on Tuesday, October 23rd, and his time will be limited, so feel free to submit your questions now and we'll save them for his arrival!
CSTV.com Moderator: Good afternoon, and welcome to another "Tuesday @ the Rink," brought to you by CSTV.com and USCHO. We have two great chats today, so let's get started with our first guest. We're joined now by Boston University defenseman Matt Gilroy.
Matt Gilroy: Hey, everyone. I just want to thank everyone for the questions and I'm really excited to be here.

Kevin (Boston): What is it going to take for you and your fellow terriers to get one in the win column this weekend against the #3 ranked Michigan team?
Matt Gilroy: I think that the first thing that we need to do is stop worrying about that first win. It's going to come. We have a very talented team and we can play with anyone in the country. I think our focus this weekend will be playing a full 60-minute hockey game and putting some pucks in the net.

Kellie (Boston): Hi Matt thanks for your time. From what I saw on Friday night, it looks like the freshman are going to make a big impact early in the season. How big is it to have the freshman contribute considering the losses on defense and the lack of scoring last season?
Matt Gilroy: I think our freshmen are going to play a big role in our success this season. Up front, Colin Wilson and Nick Bonino are really great hockey players. They both make a lot happen whenever they are on the ice and then having Shatty and Cohen on defense really helps our team. They really move the puck well and both make a lot of things happen out on the ice.

Avan (Boston): Matt, Congrats on an unexpected but great career so far. Why do you think BU has struggled offensively, is it simply lack of confidence or have we overrated the talent? It's a pleasure to watch you play.
Matt Gilroy: I don't think that its been either a lack of confidence or lack of talent. I think it's been the way we have been playing. My freshman year, we scored tons of goals, and I really think it was becsaue we had guys going to the net all the time and battling in front for ugly goals. We have been working on this a lot in practice lately. We have tons of talent up front with guys like Higgy, Yip, Pete, Bonino and Wilson, who are going to score pretty goals, but i think we need to start getting ugly goals from going and battling in front of the net.

Sam (Boston): Hi Matt, How much of a difference is it to play defense without John Curry in net? He was a wall for 3 seasons and the defense could probably get away with more than they could in front of an untested goalie? Good Luck this season!
Matt Gilroy: It's really hard to replace a goalie like Johnny, but i think we have three goalies here now that can step up and be huge parts to our defense this season. Karson and Bennett are both very good goalies and I'm sure that as this season goes on everyone will realize how good they really are. Kraus is a freshmen just looking to prove himself, and if he gets a shot, we all have the confidence in him that he will win games for us.

Sam (New York): You and and John Curry are the the most recent examples of BU Coach Jack Parker's many success stories with walk-ons. Why do you think Coach Parker has done so well with walk-ons?
Matt Gilroy: When I came to BU, I knew that walk-ons were given shots at BU, and walk-ons get shots to prove themselves at BU because Coach Parker doesnt really care who you are or where you came from when it's time to for a game. He is going to play the players who he thinks will win hockey games.

Joe (North Andover): Matt, Yours is a very inspirational story, and speaking for the BU fans, we are very happy for you and your success. What would you attribute your unbelievable rise (from walk-on player to All-American candidate) to? What people were most influentual in your development? And have you even surprised yourself with your success? Best wishes!
Matt Gilroy: Thank you. I think the biggest reason for all my success is my family. I am very close with my family. We have all been through a lot together. My parents have always told me if I want something that I have to work for it, that nothing is easy or given to anybody. I really beileive that and to have the support of both my mom and dad and all my brothers and sisters every day is something special. And yes, I have been surprised with the success, but it has been a lot of fun.

Kristina (Boston): You seem to come from an athletic family, with your dad and brother both playing collegiate basketball. Did your family ever encourage you to play basketball, and if so what made you decide to pursue hockey instead? Not that any Terrier fans have a problem with your decision of course. Good luck in Michigan and for the rest of the season.
Matt Gilroy: Yes, we have a very athletic family, and sports have been a big part of my life and family life. My parents never forced me to play one sport. They just always supported me in what I wanted to do. I did play basketball for a while, but i chose hockey over basketball. My older brother, Frank, went with basketball...that's why he is the favorite in the family!

Joe (Quincy): Matt- You are a true success story and I wish you the best. What was your reasoning for returning to BU for another season? NHL teams were actively pursuing you this past summer but you decided to return for your junior year. Have you made your mind up about your senior season yet at BU or are you going to move on at the end of this year? Best of luck!
Matt Gilroy: Thanks. I have two reasons that i returned to BU. The first one is for the education. I realized that hockey isn't going to last forever, and having a degree will open many doors for me. The second reason was that I wasn't ready to leave hockey-wise. I still have a lot to learn and a lot to work on, and I belevie that Coach Parker, Coach Quinn and Coach Bavis are the coaches who can get me to the next level.
CSTV.com Moderator: That is all the time we have with Matt this afternoon.
Matt Gilroy: I just want to thank everyone for all the questions, and i hope that everyone is as excited for the rest of the season as I am. Thanks. Bye.
CSTV.com Moderator: That will do it for the first of our "Tuesday @ the Rink" chats on CSTV.com this afternoon. Remember, you can watch Matt and the Terriers take on No. 3 Michigan LIVE on CSTV this Friday at 8 p.m. ET.
CSTV.com Moderator: We'll be back at the top of the hour with Colorado College head coach Scott Owens.