Swimming & Diving
  Tennis M | W
  Track and Field
  Ultimate
  Volleyball M | W
  Water Polo M | W
Tuesday @ The Rink

CHAT LIVE With Wisconsin Captain Andrew Joudrey

Welcome to the CSTV.com moderated chat room!

On Tuesday, October 24 at 2:00 ET, University of Wisconsin forward and team captain Andrew Joudrey pays a visit to "Tuesday @ The Rink", presented by CSTV.com and USCHO.com.

Keith Allain

Andrew Joudrey has just about done it all for Wisconsin.

The native of Bedford, Nova Scotia, has been a center, a wing and a defenseman for the Badgers over the course of his career. Joudrey is the Badgers' captain this season, after serving as assistant captain during the 2005-06 season, when Wisconsin won its sixth national championship.

Joudrey has scored a number of big goals over the course of his Badger career. As a freshman in 2004, Joudrey scored a short-handed goal as part of Wisconsin's comeback from a 3-0 deficit to defeat then-No. 1 North Dakota in overtime. As a sophomore, Joudrey did it again, scoring short-handed to help the Badgers beat then-No. 1 Michigan in the College Hockey Showcase.

Joudrey's junior year saw him score three game-winning goals, including one during one of the biggest games in Badger history. In February 2006, Joudrey put the puck past Ohio State netminder Dave Caruso in the third period to lead the Badgers past the Buckeyes in the Frozen Tundra Hockey Classic in front of 40,890 fans at Lambeau Field in Green Bay.

Joudrey was selected by the Washington Capitals in the eighth round (249th overall pick) of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft. He is a consumer science major at Wisconsin.

** GET YOUR QUESTIONS IN NOW!!: Andrew won't be stopping by until 2:00 p.m. ET on Tuesday, October 24th, and his time will be limited, so feel free to submit your questions now and we'll save them for his arrival!
CSTV.com Moderator: Hello, everyone, and welcome to CSTV.com's "Tuesday @ the Rink." We'll begin in just a few moments, as we're waiting to be joined by University of Wisconsin captain Andrew Joudrey.
CSTV.com Moderator: We're now joined by Wisconsin forward and team captain Andrew Joudrey.
Andrew Joudrey: Hi. I'm glad to be here, and looking forward to answering any questions you guys might have.

Dave (Menomonie, WI): Andrew, I've been following your game since you started at UW and congrats on an outstanding year last year. Are you looking forward to playing BC again? Also I was wondering how you think your role has changed now with the big "C" on your sweater.
Andrew Joudrey: We are looking forward to playing BC. They've got a great team again this year, and I think it's going to be a great matchup. They've got skill, speed and great work ethic, and it should be an exciting weekend. As for the captain question, it definitely changes your role. You have more responsibility, but I learned a lot from Adam Burish and Tom Gilbert, and leading by example is as important as anything verbal. If you're out there working hard, then they're more likely to follow your lead come game time.

Maggie (Fort Defiance, AZ): The Capital Times made reference to a motivational speech that you gave to your teammates between the second and third period of Saturday's game against UMD. What did you say? Is this year's team as cohesive as last years?
Andrew Joudrey: As for the speech, it was just a clear and thin message for the whole team that we needed to figure things out. The way we were playing wasn't acceptable for our standards by any means, and in order for us to be successful, we needed to have that talk to hold each other accountable. In a lot of ways, we are as cohesive as we were last year, because of what a lot of the guys went through winning it last year. However, with so many new freshmen, right now we're on the right track, but it's a process developing the same culture we had last year.

Rob (Lake Bluff, Illinois): How do you think your freshmen class this year compares to that of Minnesota, and how do you think you will be able to compete against them this year?
Andrew Joudrey: To be honest, I haven't seen them play this year. I know they have some top-notch recruits, and they will be a strong opponent, as always, but I think our freshmen are coming along really well, and hopefully, by the time we play Minnesota, we'll have continued to develop, so that we can give them our best shot.

Tim (Sun Prairie): What do you think the biggest change,other than overall talent, has been since you arrived on campus?
Andrew Joudrey: Without question, it would be the overall mindset of the program. Defining that, it's everything from work ethic to guys believing in the systems, to guys buying into the culture, having team chemistry - building that through off-ice stuff by hanging out together - and just a commitment to improving every day and setting goals high as a team.

Tony (Philadelphia): Other than BC, What non-conference game do think is going to test your boys?
Andrew Joudrey: The first thing that comes to mind is the College Hockey Showcase in November. Michigan and Michigan State are great teams this year, and they will definitely give us a great test both nights.

Andy (Baltimore, MD): Andrew, how large of an effect do you think your team's recent injuries will have on this weekend and does BC's recent 7-1 loss give you more confidence going into the series?
Andrew Joudrey: As for the injuries, they are what they are. You can't make excuses for losing guys, because every team has injuries. We'll definitely miss those guys, but at the same time, we've played the last three games without them, and have been successful, so we believe in ourselves. As for the Notre Dame win, I think that goes more to show the parity in college hockey, instead of giving us confidence. We're confident in our team systems and our ability, but one loss to a good team like Notre Dame doesn't mean Boston College is a bad team.

Madison Man in Gopher land: With the injuries to Skille, Carlson and Klub..which freshmen to you expect help fill the score sheet in the absence of those three? So far I've been impressed with Mitchell and Geoffrion. Congrats on title #6 and good luck in 06-07.
Andrew Joudrey: Thank you for that. As for the scoring, it needs to be done by committee. All the freshmen in our lineup are capable of chipping in, and I think if we rely on the collective group, it gives us a better chance of having them help score goals. As a side note, guys like Mike Davies, Blake Geoffrion and John Mitchell do have some good offensive skills, and hopefully we can use those to help our team score some goals.

Rich-Chicago: Andrew, not many people have had the experience to captain a defending national championship team. What are your biggest obstacles in doing so and how do you deal with the pressure week in and week out? What's your leadership style?
Andrew Joudrey: The first thing that comes to mind for obstacles is people comparing our team this year to last year's team. Also, it's establishing a new identity this year and a new culture with this year's team. As for week to week pressure, the biggest challenge for us is to continuously improve at each practice and each day at the rink. We want to play our best hockey come playoff time, and we need to keep building all year to get there.

Randy Hiltz: Do you think Joe Piskula can take on a more offensive role similar to that of Gilbert's from last year?
Andrew Joudrey: I think Joe's skating ability and his strength can definitely help him in that area. However, I do think that they're two different types of players, and that Joe contributes to the team in all aspects of the game.
Andrew Joudrey: That's not to say that Tom didn't, but just that they're two different players.

Mike (Madison): Has Coach Eaves changed his style of coaching since you arrived?
Andrew Joudrey: I think he's learned from the players as we've learned from him. It's been a good give-and-take relationship in that respect, and he's great with listening to feedback from the players, which has helped him and the whole team.

Erik (Madison): I've read that Coach Eaves has made an emphasis on the fact that the team shouldn't feel like it is defending the National Title, but instead fighting like everyone else for another one. That said, have you seen more pressure from opponents who might be trying a bit harder against UW this season for the bragging rights that they have knocked off the champs?
Andrew Joudrey: I know that we used it last year as motivation against Denver, but I think we respect teams that come in and look to knock us off. In no way does that we place ourselves on a pedestal, either. We have a different team this year, and our journey to the top will definitely be a different one than it was last year. We don't want to live off of last year's success. We want to prove ourselves again with our play this year.

Andrew Ferrier (Charlottetown): Jouds, What does it take to get to the next level, and how to you like to prepare before a big game? Also, do you miss Paul Flanagan and the boys from hockey school?
Andrew Joudrey: I definitely miss the guys, especially Mark Flood. Preparing for a big game, I try to stay loose and relaxed, but at the same time, slowly getting more and more focused on the task at hand and the upcoming game. As for the next level, that will come in time, and speaking with guys that I've played with and have graduated to that level, they stress the importance of conditioning, the ability to play systems and just not holding back and giving your all. So hopefully, after this year, I'll give it my best shot to move on to the next level.

Green Bay, WI: Having attended the Frozen Tundra Hockey Classic at Lambeau, I thought it was very cool. What did you think of that experience?
Andrew Joudrey: It was almost surreal. To be able to play in front over 40,000 people in your home state against a team like Ohio State was an experience that we'll never forget as a team. It was reliving the days growing up playing on a pond, and adding those fans to the mix made for a special day.

Cate (Madison): Are you surprised that Joe Pavelski is in the AHL and Adam Burish is in the NHL?
Andrew Joudrey: Congratualtions to Adam and Joe, first of all, both of them. A lot of times, it depends on what a team needs. In addition, Adam is older coming out of college than Joe is, and again, the Blackhawks needed to fill a role that Adam could play. As for Joe, I have every confidence that in the future, he will be in San Jose eventually.
CSTV.com Moderator: That is all the time we have with Andrew today.
Andrew Joudrey: Thanks for the questions and your support. Hopefully, you Wisconsin fans can keep supporting us all year long.
CSTV.com Moderator: Be sure to join us again at the top of the hour, as we're joined by new Yale head coach Keith Allain. Also, you can see this Friday's Wisconsin-Boston College game on CSTV at 8 p.m. ET, and the Rink Rat blog will be live all weekend with updates from Madison. See you at the top of the hour.

fanstore.com
shop now
T-shirts, caps, jerseys, collectibles and much more...
shop now

fanstore.com
T-shirts, caps, jerseys, collectibles and much more...
shop now