Tuesday @ The Rink

CHAT LIVE With North Dakota Forward Ryan Duncan

Welcome to the CSTV.com moderated chat room!

On Tuesday, October 16 at 2:00 ET, North Dakota forward Ryan Duncan enters the chatroom at "Tuesday @ The Rink", presented by CSTV.com and USCHO.com. Duncan and the Fighting Sioux travel to Boston College on Friday in a rematch of their 2007 Frozen Four battle, then play at Northeastern on Saturday night.

Ryan Duncan

On a team filled with highly-touted NHL draft picks and imposing physical specimens, 5'6" Ryan Duncan stood tallest and shone brightest in 2006-07 for the Fighting Sioux of the University of North Dakota.

Duncan was named the 2007 winner of the Hobey Baker Award in April after finishing the season with 57 points on 31 goals and 26 assists. Duncan was previously named WCHA Player of the Year at the league's awards banquet in March, having led the WCHA in both goals (30) and points (53) up to that point.

The son of former Fighting Sioux forward Bob Duncan, Ryan graduated from Shattuck-St. Mary's in 2004 before playing a year with Salmon Arm of the BCHL. He is a native of Calgary.

** GET YOUR QUESTIONS IN NOW!!: Jonathan won't be stopping by until 2:00 EDT on Tuesday, October 16th, and his time will be limited, so feel free to submit your questions now and we'll save them for his arrival!
CSTV.com Moderator: Welcome back to "Tuesday @ the Rink," presented by CSTV.com and USCHO. We're also pleased to welcome back Ryan Duncan from the University of North Dakota, who has a bit more hardware than he did when last we chatted with him.
Ryan Duncan: Hey everybody, thanks for having me on the chat today. I'm very excited to answer everyone's questions.

Melissa (Grand Forks): When the crowd chants Hobey Baker, do you like it or do you just kinda ignore it? Do you expect a lot from yourself every game? Good Luck this Season!! Hope to see you in Denver!!!
Ryan Duncan: I don't think it's something you can ignore. For me, it's something that I put into the back of my mind. When I'm on the ice I try to keep my focus on the task at hand and not let anything else distract me. I think it's definitely something I can look back on though and realize what an amazing feeling it is to have people chant that for you. It's something that I don't take for granted and that I really appreciate. To answer your second question, I expect a lot from myself every game. I try to go out there and be the best player I can every night and do everything that I can to hopefully help our team be successful.

Kabul, Afghanistan: Ryan, first off...congrats on two successful years not only individually, but as a team. I was listening to the MSU game (via radio of course) and couldn't help thinking "does it really matter who is out there with you and Oshie?" Your opinion? Good luck and hope to see you in six months in Denver. Go Fighting Sioux!! Capt jeo.
Ryan Duncan: Wow. Thanks a lot, Capt. I wish you a safe trip home and I just want to say I admire what you're doing for your country. To answer your question, it's definitely a huge honor to play with a player of T.J.'s caliber and talent. He always seems to make whoever he is playing with look better. I think it's just a matter of developing chemistry with your linemates. Whoever it is, it doesn't matter how skilled or talented you are if you don't have chemistry together and are not working together it's pretty tough to achieve success in college hockey. It doesn't usually work if you only have two guys on one line working togther. You need everybody on the same page to achieve success.

Siouxnami (Grand Forks South): What was it like having Matt Frattin use the Hobey Baker winner as a decoy in his first game? Looked like a very confident play by the young player.
Ryan Duncan: Ha ha. Matt Frattin is a tremendous player. He definitely didn't need me as a decoy to score that goal. That was an amazing shot and there wasn't much room for that puck to go in. Matt should feel very confident in his abilities. He's got all the tools to be successful and I think you just saw glimpses of (hopefully) what's to come from him in the future.

Ed (Boston): Do you view this as a revenge game from last year when you face BC this weekend. Especially after the past 2 years of BC ending your season.
Ryan Duncan: Not at all. For us, this is the second game of our season. We want to keep developing as a team. We're looking at this game as a tremendous challenge against a great opponent. I think both teams are familiar with each other because of our history over the last couple years which should make for a very exciting and competitive game.

Jon (Minneapolis): Ryan, great game against the defending champs. How important is it for you and the team to get off to a faster start this year in order make a run at the end of the year? GO SIOUX!
Ryan Duncan: That's definitely something that our team is focusing on early in our season. We've had some tough starts the past couple of seasons and had to battle our way back each season. Hopefully we can learn from the experiences we've had in the past and use that as a tool to help us be more successful this season.

Chris J (Grand Forks): Over the years, we as Sioux fans have been fortunate to have teams comprised of numerous legacies. Was another school ever a question, and please share a bit about being part of the Sioux family.
Ryan Duncan: The University of North Dakota has amazing history and such a strong tradition. It's truly an honor to be a part of it. For me, my Mom and Dad both went to school at UND so I have heard a lot about the history and tradition all of my life. However, my parents did not neccessarily push me towards going to school at North Dakota. They pushed me more towards going to college in general and then they let the ultimate decision come down to me. I have really enjoyed my time at UND so far and I can now understand what feeds the passion of my parents and the other alumni of UND.
CSTV.com Moderator: That is all the time we have with Ryan this afternoon.
Ryan Duncan: Thanks again for having me. I'm looking forward to college hockey getting into full swing this weekend.
CSTV.com Moderator: Thanks again for stopping by "Tuesday @ the Rink," presented by CSTV.com and USCHO. Keep checking back for info on next week's guests. Have a great week!