Swimming & Diving
  Tennis M | W
  Track and Field
  Ultimate
  Volleyball M | W
  Water Polo M | W
Tuesday @ The Rink

CHAT LIVE With New Hampshire Head Coach Dick Umile

Welcome to the CSTV.com moderated chat room!

On Tuesday, October 17 at 3:00 ET, New Hampshire Head Coach Dick Umile pays a visit to "Tuesday @ The Rink", presented by CSTV.com and USCHO.com.

Dick Umile

Now entering his 17th season behind the bench at his alma mater, New Hampshire coach Dick Umile has transformed UNH hockey into one of the top programs in all of Division I hockey, guiding the Wildcats to four Frozen Four appearances, 12? NCAA tournament appearances and 16 Hockey East championship tournament showings in his 16-year career in Durham.

In addition, Umile has posted 14 20-victory campaigns over the span of 16 seasons, including a current streak of 10 20-win seasons. Umile is now the winningest coach in the history of UNH hockey with 373 career victories. Coach Umile ranks third among active NCAA coaches with a .651 winning percentage and on the active victories list his 373 victories ranks ninth among NCAA coaches. He has been named Coach of the Year a total of eight times in his career, including New England honors three times. Last season, Umile helped the `Cats to another 20-win season and the team's fifth straight appearance in the national tournament.

After graduating from UNH in 1972, Umile began his coaching career in the Massachusetts public school system in Wakefield and Melrose. He served as the head hockey coach at Watertown (Mass.) High School for 10 seasons and scouted for the St. Louis Blues in New England for two years. Guiding Watertown to two Middlesex League titles, he was also named the Boston Globe Division I Coach of the Year in 1984. Umile debuted in the collegiate coaching ranks at Providence College, where he coached for two seasons under former Friar mentor Mike McShane (UNH `71).

** GET YOUR QUESTIONS IN NOW!!: Dick won't be stopping by until 3:00 p.m. ET on Tuesday, October 17th, and his time will be limited, so feel free to submit your questions now and we'll save them for his arrival!
CSTV.com Moderator: Hello, everyone, and welcome to the second of our "Tuesday @ the Rink" chats. We're joined now by UNH coach Dick Umile.
Dick Umile: Hi everyone, it's great to be on.

james orono, maine: are you looking forward to another good season against the black bears
Dick Umile: Absolutely. Obviously, it's a great rivalry between UNH and Maine. Wherever we go, we get great crowds, and it's typically a great matchup.

Dan (Rochester, NH): Last season the majority of goals were scored by the Micfliker, Winnik, and Hemingway line. Do you think the scoring will be more even between the lines this year? And how much of an impact do you think losing Winnik will have on the offense?
Dick Umile: There's no question that Daniel Winnik was one of the power forwards in the league, and that line was one of the top lines in college hockey. It was very hard to contain. We've got Michael Radja, he's now centering that line, and he's comfortable there, and that line looks pretty similar to what it was last year.

Chip (Portland, Me): Coach Umile, I ask you this question with the upmost respect to you and your program, but it seems to me in the last couple of years UNH seems to have slipped slightly from a national powerhouse to just a "very good" team. Do you agree? And if so what do you attribute it to?
Dick Umile: We haven't been to the Frozen Four. We've been in the NCAA tournament. Any time you compete at the top of Hockey East, you're a very good college hockey team. We haven't been to the Frozen Four, but that's a very hard place to get to. Two years ago, we lost in the last minute to Denver who ultimately went on to win the national championship. Last year we lost to a very good Michigan State team, but anytime you qualify for the NCAA tournament, you're one of the top teams in the country.

Portsmouth: These other schools seem to be getting down your style of hockey. Are u planning on changing it up this yr? In my Opinion You have alot more talent then people think out there.
Dick Umile: We are who we are. UNH hockey, we're a program that plays hard defensively, and we like to create offense when we have an opportunity to create offense.

Marty (Merrimack, NH): What teams in Hockey East do you think are capable of winning it all this year? And do you think a championship could come from HE this year?
Dick Umile: Absolutely. I think that a championship that could come from Hockey East every year. We have four teams that have regularly been in the top 10-12 of college hockey: Boston College, UNH, BU and Maine. There's only been one year that we weren't in the Frozen Four, and that was the year it was four WCHA teams. Hockey East has a chance to win a national championship every year because our top four teams are very good. We'll always have a representative from Hockey East competing in the Frozen Four.

Kyle (UNH): What is the toughest Hockey East arena/atmosphere to play in?
Dick Umile: Other than UNH? Maine's a tough place, no question. It's a small building, a lot of stuff happens, and they're a very good team. We've got some great venues now with Agganis, Gutterson, UNH, Maine, there's some great arenas to play in.

Kyle (UNH): How difficult is it to start the season away from home with two games that will be very important to your pairwise ranking at the end of the year?
Dick Umile: We've had teams like North Dakota and Minnesota come in our building. In our non-league games, we like to play against the best. It's a chance to go out and play a WCHA team. Scott Owens does a great job. It's a team that's regularly in the NCAA tournament, and it's a great challenge for us early in the season.

Jason (Durham, NH): How much do you think the large amount of playing time had by last year's freshmen will affect this year's sophomore class and, in turn, the overall team's performance?
Dick Umile: I think it's a key to our season, how well they as a group play this season. Obviously, with the forwards and the defensemen in that class for us, it's going to be very important for them to fill those roles that need to be filled.

Anthony (Campton, NH): What can you tell us about the freshman and future recruits? Will we ever see another Darren Haydar or Steve Saviano? How is the defense going to stack up? Thank you for all you have done for the UNH Hockey program! Go Cats!
Dick Umile: I hope so. That's what we're trying to do. Our coaches have done a terrific job in recruiting some talented players. We're excited about the future and always looking for another one to develop like a Darren Haydar or Steve Saviano.

Boston Ma: I have followed Kevin Regans career through youth hockey and high school and have found that the more that he pays the better he is. Can you tell me if you will be using Kevin primarily and if you intend to give him the ice time that will improve his game?
Dick Umile: Right now, Kevin is our No. 1 goaltender going into the season. He will be playing the majority of the games.

Scott (dover, NH): What do you think Micflicker's role will be on the team in his senior year?
Dick Umile: He's an assistant captain, and Jacob is a leader on the ice. He's very talented. He's a goal-scorer, he's a playmaker, and he's quick.

Dan (Rochester, NH): The home schedule is weaker this year than in years past. Will you be playing bigger named opponents at home next year?
Dick Umile: We've got St. Lawrence, Yale and Dartmouth in Manchester, and I think those are good games. It's not that much different than what we've played in the past. We've got great teams coming in next year. It's unofficial, but we'll always have the top teams coming into the Whittemore Center. The Whitt will always attract the top teams in the country.
CSTV.com Moderator: You mentioned Yale, Coach and I think everyone is excited about the addition to your staff announced today. What are you most excited about Tim Taylor bringing to your program?
Dick Umile: He's obviously one of the most respected hockey people in the game. He brings a wealth of knowledge, and he's an outstanding teacher whom I've always admired and consider a great friend.
CSTV.com Moderator: That is all the time we have with Coach Umile today.
Dick Umile: Thanks for your support. We enjoy the opportunity to play on CSTV, and the program is nationally known because of opportunities like that.
CSTV.com Moderator: That will do it for Today's Tuesday @ the Rink chat. Keep checking back to CSTV.com for more info on next week's guests.

fanstore.com
shop now
T-shirts, caps, jerseys, collectibles and much more...
shop now

fanstore.com
featured product
T-shirts, caps, jerseys, collectibles and much more...
shop now

auctions
Hundreds of items for auction.
bid now