Swimming & Diving
  Tennis M | W
  Track and Field
  Ultimate
  Volleyball M | W
  Water Polo M | W
Tuesday @ The Rink

CHAT LIVE With Michigan Defenseman Jack Johnson

Welcome to the CSTV.com moderated chat room!

On Tuesday, October 17 at 2:00 ET, University of Michigan defenseman Jack Johnson pays a visit to "Tuesday @ The Rink", presented by CSTV.com and USCHO.com.

Mike Kemp

Jack Johnson made an immediate impact upon arriving at Michigan at the fall of 2005.

After a standout prep career at Shattuck St. Mary's School in Fairbault, Minn., and a successful junior career with the U.S. National Team Development program, Johnson was drafted third overall in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft by the Carolina Hurricanes. In his first month as a Wolverine, Johnson was named the CCHA Rookie of the Week for October 10, the CCHA Defenseman of the Week for October 17, and the CSTV/Hockey Commissioners' Association National Rookie for the month of October. By the end of his first season with the Wolverines, Johnson had set a new school record for points by a freshman defenseman (32) as well as a Michigan single-season record for penalty minutes (149). He was named to the CCHA All-Rookie Team, as well as multiple national All-Rookie Teams.

Johnson has also enjoyed considerable success on the international level, winning gold with the U.S. Under-18 Team at the 2005 IIHF Under-18 World Championship, the 2005 Five Nations Tournament, and the 2004 Compuware Four Nations Cup. His draft rights were traded from the Hurricanes to the Los Angeles Kings in September 2006.

** GET YOUR QUESTIONS IN NOW!!: Jack won't be stopping by until 2:00 p.m. ET on Tuesday, October 17th, and his time will be limited, so feel free to submit your questions now and we'll save them for his arrival!
CSTV.com Moderator: Welcome to "Tuesday @ the Rink," presented by CSTV.com and USCHO. We've got two great chats today, so let's not waste any time. We're joined now by University of Michigan defenseman Jack Johnson.
Jack Johnson: Hi, everyone. Thanks for having me.

Nick Severson (Ann Arbor): Is this years team coming together quicker than last years team?
Jack Johnson: Yes, we are, because we have all been together for a year now, and we have less freshmen to bring along than last year's team.

Ann Arbor: Red Berenson said on his radio show last season that he had to convince you a bit to go play in the World Junior Championships because you really wanted to play in the Great Lakes Invitational. Since you will face that same situation again this year, will the coach need to convince you again?
Jack Johnson: Probably not as much as last year, when he pretty much told me to go. I feel that we were the best team in that tournament, and I plan on winning it this year.

Amanda (Ann Arbor): Thanks for coming back for another season with the Wolverines! After last season, which by Michigan standards wasn't that great, what kind of goals do you and the team have set for yourselves this season? What do you hope to accomplish?
Jack Johnson: We have set smaller goals, because everyone wants to win the national championship, obviously. So we are gonna focus on the small steps to get there, like winning the league and playoffs first. As for myself, if I play the way I know I can the things I hope to accomplish will take care of themselves.

Rob (St. Cloud): Jack, although maybe it's seen by some as being selfish, you've shown outstanding character by keeping your commitment to UM vs. jumping to a NHL pay day. What kind of influence have your parents had in shaping your approach to success and what's important to you?
Jack Johnson: They have had everything to do with shaping the kind of person I am today, and they know how important the college experience is and especially the chance to experience being a Big Ten athlete at an elite school.

Chris Wiljakainen (Los Angeles): Having looked at your stats I am impressed. Unfortunately living in L.A. we don't get to see many east coast hockey games, much less college hockey. Who would you say was your boyhood hero that influenced your style of play and which NHL player would you most closley compare yourself to? Thanks, and good luck to your career. I look forward to seeing you on the Kings roster.
Jack Johnson: Growing up I idolized Chris Chelios, I tried to play like him as a little kid, but I think i have become more of a Vladimir Konstantinov type player. He is the only player that I have ever thought in the NHL I really compare to in terms of styles. But I don't really want to be compared to anyone I just want to be Jack Johnson

bob baun, tampa: A lot of people think you have the hardest shot in college hockey. What's the secret of your success?
Jack Johnson: I guess when I was little I used to go out and shoot pucks on the cement in my driveway, Thats the only thing I can think of really. Otherwise, I might have been blessed with a pretty decent shot.
Jack Johnson: Yes, I was very excited about my new team.

Ryan (Huntington Beach): How long exactly will it be til you are on the Kings? And what degree are you going for in College.
Jack Johnson: I can't tell you how long because I don't even know for sure. All I know is that I hope it will be sometime not too far in the future. Right now, I am in general studies for my major at Michigan.

Matt (Jackson, MI): What is your favorite part of playing for the University of Michigan (ex. teammates, education, atmosphere at Yost)?
Jack Johnson: I would say, from an athlete's standpoint, the atmosphere, tradition, and my teammates.

Alex(Monroe): What advice would you have for someone trying to make it to the college level. What helped you get to where you are today?
Jack Johnson: Just having fun playing, because as long as you are having fun you will always be eager to go to the rink and make yourself better each day. What helped me was that I was always willing to do more than the other people I was playing against to become better and earn were I am today.
CSTV.com Moderator: That is all the time we have with Jack this afternoon.
CSTV.com Moderator: That is all the time we have with Jack this afternoon.
Jack Johnson: Got to run to practice, everyone. Thanks, it's been a pleasure. Go Blue, go Kings.
CSTV.com Moderator: Be sure to check back with us at the top of the hour for the second of our "Tuesday @ the Rink" chats, as we'll be joined by UNH coach Dick Umile.
CSTV.com Moderator: Be sure to check back with us at the top of the hour for the second of our "Tuesday @ the Rink" chats, as we'll be joined by UNH coach Dick Umile.

fanstore.com
shop now
T-shirts, caps, jerseys, collectibles and much more...
shop now

fanstore.com
featured product
T-shirts, caps, jerseys, collectibles and much more...
shop now

auctions
Hundreds of items for auction.
bid now