Swimming & Diving
  Tennis M | W
  Track and Field
  Ultimate
  Volleyball M | W
  Water Polo M | W
Tuesday @ The Rink

CHAT LIVE With North Dakota Forward Jonathan Toews

Welcome to the CSTV.com moderated chat room!

On Tuesday, October 10 at 2:00 ET, North Dakota forward Jonathan Toews enters the chatroom at "Tuesday @ The Rink", presented by CSTV.com and USCHO.com.

Jonathan Toews

Following an impressive freshman season, North Dakota forward Jonathan Toews was made the third overall selection in the 2006 NHL Draft by the Chicago Blackhawks. Toews has opted to forgo the pro game for the 2006-07 season and returns to school hoping to lead the Fighting Sioux to yet another Frozen Four.

On a team loaded with stars, Toews did more than hold his own in his freshman season, netting 22 goals to finish third on the team, while his 39 total points were fourth on the squad. Prior to his days at North Dakota, he spent the 2003-04 and 2004-05 seasons playing for Shattuck-St. Mary's in Faribault, Minn. In 2004-05, he had 110 points (48 goals, 62 assists) and 38 PIM in 64 games, helping his team win the national midget championship. Toews was the captain for Canada's Team Western that won gold medal at 2005 World Under-17 championships in Lethbridge, Alberta, where he was tournament's leading scorer with 12 points (8 goals, 4 assists) in six games, and was named tournament MVP.

** GET YOUR QUESTIONS IN NOW!!: Jonathan won't be stopping by until 2:00 EST on Tuesday, October 10th, and his time will be limited, so feel free to submit your questions now and we'll save them for his arrival!
CSTV.com Moderator: Hello everyone, and welcome to another edition of "Tuesday at the Rink" brought to you by CSTV.com and USCHO. For our first guest this afternoon, we're pleased to have North Dakota forward Jonathan Toews.
Jonathan Toews: Hey guys, thanks for having me.

Derek (Grand Forks): Did you and TJ Ohsie discuss your decision to stay another year together or did you each decide seperately?
Jonathan Toews: We did talk about it a few times this summer. But we're both different people and different players. So we definitely did not base our decisions on what the other guy was thinking. It just happened that we both believed we'd be better off coming back for at least another year to play for the Sioux.

dave (portland maine): Great job last weekend. What are your thoughts on the current line of Toews/Oshie/Duncan? Are you expecting Coach Hakstol to continue this? It looked like you guys could have had several more goals Saturday if the crossbar and the posts hadnt got into T.J's way.
Jonathan Toews: Obviously, after last weekend, I'm happy about how things went. After the success we had, especially on the second night, I hope Coach Hakstol will keep us together, especially against some tougher teams like Wisconsin

Chip, Portland, ME: Jonathan, As a Maine fan I am looking fowardto next weeks matchup with your squad. Should be a great battle. My question to you is will you prepare any differently knowing you will be facing Big Ben Bishop in net? It's not often you see a 6'7" goalie.
Jonathan Toews: It definitely should be a good weekend. I think that when you play against a goalie with that kind of size, you certainly have to have a different mindset. Going into that weekend, I think you really have to think about making the goalie's job miserable by getting a lot of traffic in front of him and crashing the net for rebounds.

Grand Forks, ND: Just curious, Do you think there are a lot of Canadian (Winnipeg) people that support the Fighting Sioux hockey team and come to the games? And I am very happy that you stayed at UND this year. Good luck this season and congrats on your hat trick on Saturday. It was fun to see!!
Jonathan Toews: Thank you very much. It's funny because I have met quite a few people (especially last summer) in Winnipeg wearing Sioux jerseys and t-shirts. It's great because Grand Forks is only a 2 hour drive, so I have a lot of friends and family come down to watch the games over the season.

Andrew Taylor, Sydney Australia: Hey Jonathan, firstly congratulations on such a success during your freshman year with the Fighting Sioux, but do you ever regret choosing College Hockey over the WHL? If so, why? If not, what made North Dakota a better choice for you?
Jonathan Toews: Considering the experiences that I have had over the past year with Team Canada at the World Junior Championship, the NCAA Frozen Four last spring and the NHL draft, there is absolutely no regret. If I had decided to play in the WHL, I'm sure I would have had a lot of positive experiences as well, but since I made the decision to come play at UND, I told myself to never look back and keep focusing on every task at hand.

Eric (Boston): How do you like your chances against Wisconsin this weekend, and were you surprised Stafford got sent to the minors?
Jonathan Toews: Well, even though Wisconsin lost a lot of key players over the off-season, they will still be real strong. They will be even tougher to beat in their own building, so we will definitely have some adversity to deal with. But over the past few weeks, it seems like we are getting better everyday, especially our young guys. So I don't doubt it will be a heck of a battle both nights. As for Staff, it is only a matter of time before he cracks that lineup. You look at how strong their forwards are, and for anybody trying to make that team it has to be pretty intimidating. But for a skilled player like Drew, he will always find a way.

jeff, in minny: Great to have you back this season! I noticed that Brad Malone gave us a verbal commitment today. Coach Hakstol and his staff are great recruiters....what brought you to UND and will your brother be following in your footsteps?
Jonathan Toews: Coach Hakstol has been doing a great job of scouting and recruiting in the past few years. For me, a big thing was how the players treated me when I visited the locker room after one of the games during my senior year in high school. When it came down to it, it just seemed like UND was a great place to play hockey. It was exciting to watch games at the Ralph Engelstad in a town where people really care about the hockey team. As for my brother, I think he will do what he feels is the right think for him when it's time to make that decision...so we will see.

Tony Bowman (Grand Forks): What's your go-to meal at the Red Pepper?
Jonathan Toews: The way to go at the Red Pepper is a Whole Turkey Grinder, heated with taco meat... with 2 cheese tostadas. Hands down the best meal at Red Pepper, 100% satisfaction.

Grand Forks: Do you think with the new fan rules in the REA, home field advantage is reduced or eliminated?
Jonathan Toews: I don't think it is eliminated. I thought the crowds were pretty good this weekend against Quinnipiac. And it doesn't get much better than the atmosphere we had in the Regional tournament last year. So even if the crowd is somewhat restricted, it is still an adjustment for a team to go play in another building because you don't have the same comfort level you would at home.

James Hanley, Hershey PA: I moved from North Dakota to PA, so I know the history of the Fighting Sioux Hockey Team. What was your feeling when you first put on the Sioux Jersey and stepped on to the ice, have you ever been in the old "RALPH", where a lot of Sioux History has been made? Thanks for your time and GO FIGHTING SIOUX HOCKEY !!!!!!!!!!!
Jonathan Toews: Well it was definitely something special. When I went to school at Shattuck St. Mary's, we were all Fighting Sioux fans because there were already a lot of players who graduated and were playing for the Sioux. So when I moved on from Shattuck and wore the Sioux crest, I felt like I had some big shoes to fill there. It's a great feeling to play for this program because you have so many loyal fans supporting you every game. You almost want to go out there and win games for the Sioux fan who has been sitting in that same seat all these years. So every game you're playing for something that is much bigger than yourself.

Mary Catherine (South Bend, IN): How does it feel to be in the early running for the Hobey? How do you handle the hype and stay grounded enough to play hockey and go to class?
Jonathan Toews: Well it almost feels like when I was being compared to Phil Kessel last year for the NHL Draft. It is an honour to be considered one of those players, but I think the most important thing is focusing on our team success. Usually if you are doing your job and contributing to the team, you'll get the individual recognition you deserve later. It is a long season and my focus is on being part of a team that makes a great post-season run once again.
CSTV.com Moderator: That's all the time we have with Jonathan this afternoon.
Jonathan Toews: Thanks again for having me.
CSTV.com Moderator: Just a reminder, you can catch Jonathan and his Fighting Sioux teammates as they take on Wisconsin this Friday at 8:30 p.m. ET on CSTV.
CSTV.com Moderator: Be sure to hop over to our other chat room for our next "At the Rink" chat with Nebraska-Omaha coach Mike Kemp

fanstore.com
shop now
T-shirts, caps, jerseys, collectibles and much more...
shop now

fanstore.com
featured product
T-shirts, caps, jerseys, collectibles and much more...
shop now

auctions
Hundreds of items for auction.
bid now