Orange County Choppers
Web Directory
International Phone Cards
Budget Car Rental
Home Equity Loan
Fundraisers Free Samples!
Book Cheap Tickets Here

October 22, 2014
College Sports TV Scores & Standings Live Games Video Highlights Teams Message Boards Wireless Tickets store

Schedules
Scores
Standings
Rankings

Courtside Central
NCAA Championships
Award Winners

Baseball
Basketball M | W
 Scores: M | W
Bowling
Cross Country
Equestrian
Fencing
Field Hockey
Football: I-A | More
 Scores
 Fantasy
Golf M | W
Gymnastics M | W
Hockey M | W
 Scores (M)
Lacrosse M | W
Rifle
Rowing
Rugby
Skiing
Soccer M | W
Softball
Squash
Swimming & Diving
Tennis M | W
Track and Field
Ultimate
Volleyball M | W
Water Polo M | W
Wrestling

CSTV On-Air Schedule
Listen to CSTV
Make us your homepage
Free RSS rss logo
Recruiting
Recruit Me!
Free Newsletter
Feedback
Get CSTV!

Advertisers
Affiliates

Our Partners:

Chat Live With North Dakota Head Coach Dave Hakstol

Welcome to the CollegeSports.com moderated chat room!

On Monday, April 4 at 11:00 a.m. EST, University of North Dakota Head Coach Dave Hakstol visits the Tuesday @ The Rink" chat room. The Sioux roared out of the East Regional by beating both BU and BC.

When Dave Hakstol was named the University of North Dakota's head men's hockey coach on July 9, 2004, he became just the 15th head men's hockey coach in school history and only the fourth Fighting Sioux head coach in the past 36 years. The 35-year old Hakstol, a Sioux player from 1989-92, is also just the fifth former UND player to also become head coach at North Dakota.

The former Sioux captain was a member of Dean Blais's coaching staff the past four seasons and in that stint helped coach the Sioux to a 101-47-19 (.662) overall record and 63-33-16 (.634) WCHA record. During Hakstol's four years under Blais, UND won two WCHA titles, made three NCAA appearances and finished as the 2001 national runnerup.

North Dakota Logo

Official Site
Hockey Home
Schedule/Results
Statistics
North Dakota Staff

Named a UND assistant coach on July 1, 2000, Hakstol was elevated to associate head coach in December 2000, and he served as the team's recruiting coordinator for the past four seasons.

As a defenseman on the Sioux hockey team from 1989-92, Hakstol was a three-year letterwinner and served as team captain from 1990 to 1992. He played in 107 games for UND, scoring 10 goals and adding 36 assists for 46 points. He had 77 penalties for 191 minutes.

While Hakstol won't be stopping by until 11:00 a.m. EST on Monday, April 4, his time will be tight, so feel free to submit your questions now and we'll save them for his arrival!

CollegeSports.com Moderator: Welcome to a special Monday edition of Tuesday @ The Rink. We will be joined today by two of this weekend's Frozen Four coaches. Our first guest is North Dakota Head Coach Dave Hakstol.
Coach Hakstol: Hi, everyone. I am happy to be here and am ready for your questions.

Jeff (Fergus Falls): Coach, You've done a great job turing this team around from your mid season slump. I want to know how much help your Sioux coaching assistants (all former Sioux) helped you in the turnaround and if their and your participation in the system under coach Gasparini and Blaise was a key part of that. P.S. Good Luck and Go Sioux!!!
Coach Hakstol: I think both Dean and Gino have had a great influence on all three coaches here on staff. We all have good relationships and have either coached with or played under both Dean and Gino. To have the opportunity to learn from those guys has been a real valuable experience for all of us. In regards to our staff this year, including Tim Skarperud, we've had a consistent message for our players and a consistent goal throughout the year. We didn't change anything early, mid or late in the year. A great deal of credit goes to Brad, Cary and Tim.

PCM (Grand Forks): Are you concerned about how many penalties the Sioux took during the East Regionals? Are you doing anything or can you do anything to cut down the number of penalties?
Coach Hakstol: We don't want to give our opposition nine or ten opportunities on the power play. We've done a very good job killing penalties, but if you are killing that many penalties, it takes too much away from the rest of your game, even if you are successful killing off the penalties. I think, against BC, it took us close to 30 minutes to adjust to the way the game was being called. We have to do a better job and adjust to the way the ref is going to call the game quicker than that.

Geoff (Fargo): do you think the week off will hurt your teams momentum?
Coach Hakstol: No, I don't think so. I think it will allow us to physically rest a little bit and to mentally rest a little bit. Our goal this week will be to reamain sharp and play at the same intesity level that we played with during the East Regional.

Casper: With your first year as head coach almost finished, what were your biggest surprises as a head coach vs. being an assistant?
Coach Hakstol: It is hard to pick one or two things. Every season, whether you are an assistant or a head coach brings different challenges. Each team is a little different. I think I'm fortunate to have guys like Brad, Cary and Tim, and their knowledge and experince, on our staff. That allows us to deal with and develop our hockey team as the season progressed.

Joe (Bismarck): Can you talk about the impact of Robbie Bina's injury on your team and what kind of inspiration it gives you going ahead?
Coach Hakstol: Robbie is such a big part of our hockey team. He was and remains to be one of the most popular guys in the locker room. I know that out in Worcester, our guys were playing for Robbie. And the fact that Robbie will be on the trip with us to Columbus will be a great thing for our team.

Mark (Milwaukee): Even as late as February, your club had a tough 1-5-1 stretch. What has enabled this turnaround and how did they team get past its struggles?
Coach Hakstol: We had ups and downs throughout the season. The one thing that remained constant with our team was how hard our players worked. Hard work, along with strong leadership in the locker room, has been the reason we've had a chance for success down the stretch.

Tom Erlandson (Riverside, CA): Do you prefer playing WCHA opponents in the Frozen Four to playing a team from say, Hockey East or the ECAC?
Coach Hakstol: That is a tough question. How do you pick your poison? But, at this time of year, when you get to either the National Tournament or especially the Frozen Four, you are going to be playing against tough competition and programs. I wouldn't be able to choose. We know Minnesota is playing extremely well and you would expect to face a team like that at this point of the year. The fact that there are four WCHA teams left does speak to the level of competition in the WCHA this season.

Freddie in Greenwich: have you ever seen a goalie get this hot this quick as Parise has?...i there a tendency for the rest of the team to watch him rather than playing the game at hand?
Coach Hakstol: Jordan has had a very good start to his career at North Dakota. His play down the stretch doesn't come out of nowhere. He has played extremely well all season and down the stretch elevated his play only slightly. It's not something that has come out of the blue. He has been a great goaltender for us over the last two season. The way Jordan is playing lends a lot of confidence to the rest of the team, but I don't think that leads to the tendency of sitting back and watching.

Henry (Grand Rapids): After big losses last offseason and a slow start, not many expecting you to be in Columbus. Who was the biggest standout in turning the direction of the season around?
Coach Hakstol: With this team, there really aren't one or two individuals that have been the driving force. Rather, it has been our juniors and seniors as a collective group that have turned into a tremendous crew of leaders. That is evident on a nightly basis. It seems like, with this team, it is someone different every night who steps forward and gets the job done. That has been the real key to success for this team. It has been a true team effort.
CollegeSports.com Moderator: Coach needs to run, so that is all the time we have with him.
Coach Hakstol: Thank you everyone. I had fun answering your questions.
CollegeSports.com Moderator: Join us again at 1:00 Eastern, when we are joined by Denver Head Coach George Gwozdecky. And don't forget the rest of our chats this week.....Tomorrow at 1:00 Eastern we will chat with BU Head Coach Jack Parker. And on Saturday night, it is our Championship Chat with UMass-Lowell Had Coach Blaise MacDonald and CSTV's Dave Starman. See you at 1:00 Eastern.

Printer-friendly format   Email this story

© CSTV Networks, Inc.
About Us   |    Partners   |    Services   |    U-Wire   |    Advertise With Us   |    Contact Us   |    Work For Us   |    Site Feedback
Click here to view our Privacy Policy