Tuesday @ The Rink

CHAT LIVE With North Dakota Captain Chris Porter

Welcome to the CSTV.com moderated chat room!

On Tuesday, March 27 at 1:00 ET, North Dakota team captain Chris Porter enters the chatroom at "Tuesday @ The Rink", presented by CSTV.com and USCHO.com. Porter will lead the Fighting Sioux into a Frozen Four semifinal game against Boston College Next Thursday, April 5.

Ryan Duncan

Chris Porter's final season as a member of the North Dakota Fighting Sioux is coming to an end, but the senior forward from Thunder Bay, Ontario, is going out in style.

Porter was named Most Valuable Player at the 2007 NCAA West Regional after scoring two goals and handing out an assist in an 8-5 win over Michigan, then scoring in overtime to lead the Sioux past Minnesota and on to the Frozen Four. It's all part of a senior year that has seen Porter amass 27 points (10g, 17a), and break the WCHA record for consecutive games played. Porter has not missed a game in his Sioux career, and will play in his third Frozen Four next week.

The son of Gord and Debbie Porter, Chris was drafted by the Chicago Blackhawks in the ninth round (282nd overall) of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft. He is a communications major at North Dakota.

** GET YOUR QUESTIONS IN NOW!!: Chris won't be stopping by until 1:00 EDT on Tuesday, March 27th, and his time will be limited, so feel free to submit your questions now and we'll save them for his arrival!
CSTV.com Moderator: Good afternoon, and welcome to "Tuesday @ the Rink," presented by CSTV.com and USCHO. We're joined this afternoon by North Dakota forward Chris Porter, captain of the Fighting Sioux and MVP of the 2007 NCAA West Regional.
Chris Porter: Thank you to everyone who has followed the Fighting Sioux this year and stuck with us through good and bad times. We truly appreciate it.

Mike - Minneapolis: Chris - Congrats big time. Now, 'fess up. Frazee's skate was on the pipe. Were you aiming for the 5-hole, or just trying to get a shot?
Chris Porter: I was just trying to put the puck on net. I had no intensions of putting it five-hole. I was at the end of a long shift and wanted to put the puck on net and go for a line change.

Mark - Moorhead, MN: I would like to know your thoughts on the last Sioux/Gophers game you will ever play in and fact that your goal ended their season.
Chris Porter: I think the last game means a lot. Obviously, it is a huge rivalry and one that you always want to play great in. I will remember this game for as long as I live. It still feels surreal to me. I was proud of our team in both games and happy for the coaching staff as well. We are happy to be moving on.

Jeff (Boston U): Chris, very impressive win against Minnesota over the weekend! What are you, as a player, and the rest of the Fighting Sioux going to do to defeat this Boston College squad? ps, please have somebody on your team (if not yourself) knock Gerbe FLAT on the ice :)
Chris Porter: Thank you very much. We are going to approach this game like we have every game since Christmas, that is with a playoff and "never say die" attitude. BC is playing extremely well right now and will be a great test for our hockey team. We are excited for the challenge and look forward to it.

George (Tulsa): congrats on a great performance and a return trip to the frozen four. how much motivation does revenge provide since the eagles bounced you last year?
Chris Porter: BC played great last year and deserved to win that game. We didn't play our best game and look to play much better this year. Our team shouldn't need any motivation. We are at the Frozen Four and you always want to play your best in big games.

Andrew Taylor (Sydney, Australia): Hey Chris, congrats on your third straight frozen four. What do you think you guys need to focus on the most against BC to increase your chances at progressing to the National Championship game. GO SIOUX!!!
Chris Porter: Thank you. I think we need to just keep playing the way we have been over the past few months. Playing Sioux hockey, which means working hard, playing with speed, and not making mental mistakes in key times of the hockey game. We are at our best when we play like this.

John, Montgomery, IL: Chris: In practice, which line do you line-up against? Go Sioux!
Chris Porter: We play against every line. It depends on the drill and day of practice. It keeps the competition level high this way.

Dave, Grand Forks: Chris, your physical fitness is well above average even for an average college hockey player. How much do you feel your rigorous physical conditioning routine adds to your play on the team? Was it a factor in the regional games?
Chris Porter: I try to pride myself on being in the best shape possible when coming into the season. It helps to prevent injuries and keeps you playing in every game. I want to play in every game possible and to do this you need to be in good shape. Dever is a tough place to play because of the altitude. I think being in good shape helps you out but is still pretty hard to breathe out there.

Matt(Grand Forks): Congratulations on your victory over the goofs we were all really pulling for you. In overtime you really took it to them were they just worn out or did you guys just dig down deeper? How are you going to prepare for this weekend?
Chris Porter: I think that we had a little bit of momentum going into OT. I thought we did a good job of carrying that into OT and because of this had great opportunities early in that period. I know they had guys that were banged up and that might have played into it as well. We are going to prepare just like every other game and that is practicing hard and getting mentally ready for a huge hockey game.

mikey grand forks: Chris how does it feel to score the biggest goal of your career to advance your team to a third straight frozen four, and also be the hero of UND and Grand Forks? Play with a chip on your shoulder buddy!
Chris Porter: It feels great to be a part of this team we have this year. Scoring that goal was an amazing feeling and I can't really put it into words. I was just happy to help the team move on to our ultimate goal. Our team has worked so hard this year and it feels great to be moving on to St. Louis.

Ace - El Grande Forko, ND: Since playing at the Dartmouth Tournament in December, your team has really been playing well together. What sparked everything and made it all suddenly "click" together as a team? Good luck.
Chris Porter: I think losing to Michigan Tech was the turning point of our season. We had hit rock bottom and everyone counted us out. We all pulled together and decided that we have too special of a group to let our season go to waste. We took one game at a time and never looked past the game we were playing in. Playing just a little bit harder got us a few bounces that we didn't get in the first half and we started winning games. Our team still takes that approach and we are now focused on BC.

Jason(bismarck): What does it mean to you to wear the C and wear it with the pride, leadership and tradition of the past Sioux Captains? Also you have alot a respect from all the siuoux fans for your streak of always going to the rink!
Chris Porter: It means a lot to wear the C. We have a special group of guys on our team this year. UND has had great captains over the years and I just want to do my part to help add to the tradition of the Fighting Sioux.

Chad Bushy (Grand Forks): Chris, Can you tell us what it is like to play for North Dakota and the tradition that comes with that. Congrats on a great West regional. You really deserved the MVP.
Chris Porter: Thank you very much. I don't really know if I can put into words what its like to be part of the Fighting Sioux family. UND has a great tradition here and will continue to for years to come. Being part of this family means a lot. You are asked to carry on a winning tradition that isn't always an easy task. You must pride yourself on hard work, unselfish play, and a passion for winning. I think those are great qualities for a team to have.

Bri, Grand Forks: Congrats on your third straight Frozen Four berth, that has to feel like an amazing accomplishment. I'm curious, in what kinds of ways (both verbally and through action) do you motivate the guys in the locker room, especially when you may be down or not playing the typical Fighting Sioux hockey we have come to enjoy? Good luck - bring home #8!!
Chris Porter: At this time of the year, not much needs to be said in the locker room. I try to lead by example both on and off the ice. Our team is full of leaders and everyone does his part to help the team win games. It doesn't matter if it is one of the captains that says something or another guy on the team. Everyone respects each other and what they have to offer.

Jim Vold: Port, Congrats on your regional MOP this past weekend, it was well deserved. You and the team are playing extremely well right now. With a week and a half until you play in the frozen four, what are you looking forward to the most? Good Luck and bring home another Championship. Jim Vold
Chris Porter: I think being there before, I will look forward to the day of the game the most. I have been the the banquets and things like that before so game day will be the most exciting. The game versus BC will be a ton of fun and a game that I'm really looking forward to.
CSTV.com Moderator: That is all the time we have with Chris this afternoon.
Chris Porter: Thank you for your time and questions. Make sure to be cheering for the Fighting Sioux next Thursday. We are all looking forward to that game.
CSTV.com Moderator: That'll do it for today's "Tuesday @ the Rink," presented by CSTV.com and USCHO. We'll have more chats leading up to the Frozen Four, so keep checking back for more info.

Name (City):
Submit your question here: