Tuesday @ The Rink

CHAT LIVE With St. Cloud State Goaltender Bobby Goepfert.

Welcome to the CSTV.com moderated chat room!

On Tuesday, February 20 at 2:00 ET, St. Cloud State goaltender Bobby Goepfert pays a visit to "Tuesday @ The Rink", presented by CSTV.com and USCHO.com.

Bob Motzko

Bobby Goepfert has backstopped St. Cloud to a banner year in the WCHA. He has posted a 13-6-6 record for the Huskies in 2006-07 with a 2.12 goals-against average (ninth in the nation) and a .929 save percentage (fourth in the nation). The Huskies are second in the WCHA behind Minnesota and fourth in the USCHO.com/CSTV Rankings

This follows on a 2005-06 season in which Goepfert was named an AHCA West Second Team All-American and a All-WCHA first team selection. He was 11th in the nation with a .924 save percentage and ninth in the nation with 2.20 GAA (a new team record). Goepfert posted posted three shutouts and had 1,010 saves (second most in team history) last season, and set a team record by playing in 2264:29 minutes in 38 games. One of his biggest wins came in March, when he charted 44 saves in a win over Minnesota in the WCHA Final Five. At the end of the season, Goepfert was the recipient of SCSU's Frank Brimsek Award (MVP) and Dave Torrey Award (Outstanding Goaltender).

A two-year standout at Providence College, Goepfert was a redshirt athlete at SCSU in 2004-05. At Providence, Goepfert was named Friar Freshman of the Year in 2003, then was selected as Best Defensive Player and Coaches Award winner in 2004. He was drafted by the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2002 (6th Round/171st overall). Prior to his college career, Goepfert played two seasons with Cedar Rapids of the USHL, where he was selected as league MVP and Goalie of the Year. Goepfert was a member of USA Junior National Team in 2003, and played against Canada in the World Junior Championship in Halifax that year.

** GET YOUR QUESTIONS IN NOW!!: Bobby won't be stopping by until 2:00 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 20th, and his time will be limited, so feel free to submit your questions now and we'll save them for his arrival!
CSTV.com Moderator: Welcome back to "Tuesday @ the Rink", presented by CSTV.com and USCHO. We're waiting to be joined by St. Cloud State goaltender Bobby Goepfert.
CSTV.com Moderator: Alright, folks, we are ready to go with Bobby Goepfert.
Bobby Goepfert: Hi everyone, happy to be here, and looking forward to answering your questions.

Aaron (Willmar): Bobby, 7 points behind the Gophs and a big series this weekend...I'm a huge Husky Hockey fan...give me a reason to think that this minor slump will come to a halt and you sweep the Golden Chokers this weekend
Bobby Goepfert: You know, last weekend was a really tough weekend. Playing in Wisconsin is extremely tough but I thought we got better as the weekend went on. I can't predict an outcome this weekend, but whenever we play the Gophers, it seems like we always play our best, so I'm pretty sure everyone wearing red and black will be ready to go. Thanks for the support!

Larry from Minneapolis: Congratulations to you and the Huskies for a great season...so far. As we all expected, this weeks matchup with the Gophers is pivotal in terms of conference championships, WCHA Final Five and NCAA seeding. What are the three key things the Huskies have to do to be successful this weekend?
Bobby Goepfert: Thanks. I just think for us to be successful we have to do the same things we have done for most of the year, and that would be working hard, making plays and being responsible in our own zone. This is a big series indeed, but nothing changes for us to be successful just because it's the Gophers.

Owen, Milton, Wisconsin: While I have gotten to 8 Huskies road games, what is the most difficult arena or atmosphere to play at in the WCHA ?
Bobby Goepfert: I am not sure if there is exactly a difficult place to play. I think the most fun and loud arena to play in would be Wisconsin. They also seem to feed off the energy of the crowd more as well, but I could be a little biased just coming off the weekend.

Ben (Columbus, OH): Bobby, I'm an SCSU grad and big fan of yours. I was at the Kohl Center Saturday night and even though I feel the team didn't play the most optimized game of hockey both nights, the Badgers are still a very good hockey team and are much better than what the polls show. With the understanding that the Kohl Center isn't the most pleasant venue for visiting teams, do you think by playing in Madison this past weekend will give you an edge up on Friday night considering the environment at Mariucci? Thanks for taking the question and BEAT THE GOPHERS!!!
Bobby Goepfert: Yeah, I think the Kohl Center's atmosphere and the experience from the weekend was great for our team. Even though we left Wisconsin with only one point, we were put in a situation that we might see in the future. The closest thing I could relate the atmosphere to would be the Xcel Center and that is where we want to be, so for our young guys to be in a situation that perhaps they might not be used to could really be beneficial in a couple of weeks (hopefully, haha). I like all these Beat the Gophers messages, haha.
Bobby Goepfert: We are going to try.

Andrew (Holderness,NH): You have played in probably the two top leagues(in my mind) during your college career. Is there a big difference between the WCHA and Hockey East? and congrats so far on the great season out there. (GO CAT'S!!!,BEAT BOBBY'S OLD TEAM!!!)
Bobby Goepfert: Thanks and thanks, haha. I just think the first thing you notice when you come out to the west is how big college hockey is. I don't mean to degrade Hockey East and I know that at some schools, hockey is real big, but for the most part, as a conference, there are bigger sports that students and fans follow. Out here in the WCHA, it seems that there is a cult following, with regularly televised games, radio shows, you name it. The venues are constantly sold out and it just makes it that much fun to play. Again, I enjoyed my time competing in Hockey East but I am having a blast in the WCHA. Go Cats! haha

Nate (St. Cloud): Bobby, I just want to start off by thanking you for transferring to St. Cloud a few years ago and giving the people of St. Cloud a reason to be at every SCSU hockey game. In regards to all of the hoopla that surrounds the national polls, what is your approach to following the rankings? Do you follow them regularly or ignore them all together? Thanks for answering and good luck with the rest of the season and postseason.
Bobby Goepfert: Thanks for the kind words. It really depends. I dont know how much weight those polls carry but it is something you can be proud of. I like looking at it and then telling my family and friends, "Hey we are number so and so in the country." It is nice to be recognized like that, but those polls change every week so it is not something that is going to make us feel complacent with what we are doing on the ice. Thanks.

Eric (Madison): Bobby, you made some big saves down the stretch in game two against Wisconsin. Can you describe what went through your mind and your execution of the save on Ben Street's attempt with 10 seconds left in overtime?
Bobby Goepfert: Well I was pretty focused all game, and I was tracking the puck well, I saw them keep the puck in at the blue line and then get the puck to Joudrey. Before the weekend the scouting report was that he was a "pass first, shoot second" guy, and I am not sure how accurate that was because he had three goals, but oh well. So, he had the puck and I saw a lefty on my left and just anticpated the pass and was fortunate enough to get a pad on it. Those last 10 seconds seemed like 10 minutes, though.

Blizzard, Saint Cloud, MN: Got a 3 part question for ya, Bobby. First, how would you compare the team chemistry this year to last year? What are some of the keys that you see the team needs to accomplish to finish out the season and head into the playoffs? And of course, who is the best mascot in college hockey?
Bobby Goepfert: I think the chemistry is a bit different than last year's team. Last year, we only had three freshmen so the majority of the guys had played together for three years. With our team this year, we have had more freshmen, but since Day One we all have gotten along great. For your second question, I am not sure if there are exactly keys, but ill try not to sound so clichéd when I say we want to be playing our best come playoff time. And for your third question, with all the controversy surounding mascots these days, I am reluctant to answer anyone but my man Blizzard!

Joshua(New York, NY): Obviously much has changed at St. Cloud State in recent years, but winning seems to remain a constant. Instead of regressing, the program has soared (some would argue unexpectedly) to new heights. Talk about what it means to be such a vital part of this recent success--unparalled in SCSU hockey history! Good luck the rest of the way!
Bobby Goepfert: Thanks. The big thing for me personally was giving back to a program that has taken me in with open arms, everyone from the faculty to the fans. The only thing I wanted to do since I got here was contribute on the ice and try to give back to the town, school and fans. I know I am not alone on this team when I say this and when I say we want to bring more than just a winning record to St. Cloud. When you are a senior, you want to leave your legacy on a program and all of us seniors know that there is more meat left on the bone. Thanks for the question.
CSTV.com Moderator: That is all the time we have with Bobby this afternoon.
Bobby Goepfert: I just want to thank all the Husky fans out there for their continued support this year. Also, all the other fans in college hockey as well. Your passion and support for our game makes it what it is. So thanks again to everyone out there and I'll see you at the rink!
CSTV.com Moderator: That will do it for this week's "Tuesday @ the Rink" chats, presented by CSTV.com and USCHO. Keep checking back for more info on next week's guests.