Swimming & Diving
  Tennis M | W
  Track and Field
  Ultimate
  Volleyball M | W
  Water Polo M | W
Tuesday @ The Rink

CHAT LIVE With Mike Eruzione

Welcome to the CSTV.com moderated chat room!

On Tuesday, February 14 at 1:00 p.m. ET, Mike Eruzione enters the chatroom at "Tuesday @ The Rink", presented by CSTV.com and USCHO.com.

Mike Eruzione

Mike Eruzione holds a special place in the hearts of U.S. hockey fans. As the captain of the 1980 United States Olympic Hockey Team, he led the to its Gold Medal victory in Lake Placid, NY. The highlight of the games for Eruzione was scoring the game-winning goal against the Soviet Union.

While attending Boston University, Eruzione captained the hockey team his senior year and finished his college career as the second-leading scorer in B.U. history. The years he played at B.U., his team won four Eastern Collegiate Championships. Eruzione has been inducted into the Boston University Athletic Hall of Fame.

** GET YOUR QUESTIONS IN NOW!!: Mike won't be stopping by until 1:00 p.m. EST on Tuesday, February 14th, and his time will be limited, so feel free to submit your questions now and we'll save them for his arrival!
CSTV.com Moderator: Welcome to a special "Tuesday @ The Rink" chat to kick off today's doubleheader. With the Olympics underway, we are happy to be joined by the captain of the 1980 "Miracle On Ice" U.S. Hockey Team, Mike Eruzione. We will be starting momentarily.
CSTV.com Moderator: Mike has joined us, so we are ready to get started.
Mike Eruzione: Hi, everyone. I'm happy to be back and am ready for your questions.

New York, NY.: Mike, first off, congrats on that fabulous golf shot out in Arizona about a month ago! Although we missed you at BU's Winterfest, the shot you made (seen on ESPN) was all the talk that weekend. The Beanpot should be a heck of a match up on Monday--what do you see for the Terriers as they head into the final stretch of games before the NCAA's? It seems that the 1st and 2nd year players have really picked up the scoring and are playing with some new found confidence after an inconsistent start to the season. We've lost some heartbreakers in the first round of the of NCAA's due to lack of scoring in past years. Do you see that changing for them this year although they are still a very young team? Go Terriers!!! Roy New York City
Mike Eruzione: I like what I see from the BU hockey team. They have won eleven straight and are playing outstanding hockey. I think anybody who plays against them right now is in for a battle. The question is whether they can score enough goals, but that is the big question for any team in the tournament. Right now, I don't think there is a team in the country playing as well as BU. Everyone wants to score more goals, but this team is playing very well.

Mike (Oxford): Hi Mike. Boston just won their second straight Beanpot and they are on a big roll. How do you like their chances this year? How about Hockey East's chances? Do you think there has been a shift of power between the conferences since last year's all WCHA Frozen Four?
Mike Eruzione: I always think Hockey East, top to bottom, is the best league. I think, with BC and BU playing the way they have been, they have the potential to win a National Championship. Clearly, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Miami of Ohio are top teams, as well. Of those teams I just mentioned, anyone is capable of winning the title, and I predict it will be one of those five.

Kevin (New Gloucester, ME): Hi Mike, Do you feel that USA is underrated heading into the Olympic men's tournament given their depth and experience?
Mike Eruzione: I'm surprised people have them picked fifth. We have good experience and good depth. Other than Canada and the Czech Republic, who people consider first and second, you can never count out the U.S. team to medal.

Chris Jolin (Midland Park, NJ): With pros now playing in the Olympics and the Cold War over, can the magic and euphoria of the 1980 win over the USSR ever be duplicated in the future?
Mike Eruzione: I don't think it will from the political end or the patriotic end. It is a very different playing field now than it was in 1980. From a hockey perspective, it is a great way to promote USA Hockey. For players today, it is still a great honor to go and win an Olympic gold medal. However, I think the focus on a win would be different today than it was in 1980.

Andy (Grand Rapids, MI): Were you dissaponted when professionals began to compete in Olympic Hockey?
Mike Eruzione: I don't think disappointed is the right word - that is a bit strong. I understood the reasoning behind it, even though I disagree with it. We still have to root and hope our players do well. If I had a vote, it would be the old way. But I don't have a vote.

Tim (FL): Knowing how badly the NHL Allstars we're beaten by the Russians and how badly they beat Team USA days before the games, did you honestly think you could compete with them? At what point during the game did you actually beleive that you could win?
Mike Eruzione: We weren't thinking about the Russians going into the Olympics because they were in another division. The only time we thought about them was when we got to the medal round and realized we were going to play them. Clearly, we felt we could win. If you don't think you can win, you aren't going to. But we also knew it was going to be very hard and very difficult. As far as winning, when we thought we could beat them was when the final buzzer sounded.

Susan (Chicago): Is the depiction of Herb Brooks in the movie "Miracle" very accurate? Specifically the locker room speech prior to the game against the Russians?
Mike Eruzione: It was very accurate.

Amanda (Fairbanks): How well do you feel your character was portrayed in the film "Miracle"?
Mike Eruzione: I thought he did a very nice job. If anything, I think he was a little quieter and more reserved than I was. I think I was a little more vocal as a player. That is not the actor's fault, of course, that is the role they gave him.

Rich-Chicago: Hi Mike- I feel your 1980 team was very underrated still today given the successful careers many of your teammates had in the N.H.L. What are your thoughts?
Mike Eruzione: I would agree wholeheartedly.

Jeff (Chicago): Despite being a Cornellian, one of my favorite college hockey lines to watch was the Eruzione-Meagher-Silk line (I was living in New England at the time) - really admired how you guys played. We get top see you on TV occasionally, but what what are Rick and Dave doing lately?
Mike Eruzione: Rick Meagher scouts for the St. Louis Blues and lives in Canada. Dave Silk works for Bear Stearns and lives in Boston. I was at the Beanpot with him last night.

TK (Newport): Mike, How did you decide to play at BU? Were you actively recruited by Coach Parker?
Mike Eruzione: Jack Parker saw me playing in a summer league game two weeks before school started. I was not being recruited by any Division I schools. Jack had an extra scholarship and offered it to me. That is how I ended up at BU.

Grant (Detroit): Hello Mike, having spent so many years around the BU Hockey program, what is it about Jack Parker's coaching style or philosophy that has made the program so successful through the years?
Mike Eruzione: I think the tradition of the school is a big factor in the program. It is a winning tradition. I think Jack having been there so long has established a reputation for him as being one of the best coaches in the country. His discipline, his great relationship with players and his cometitiveness as a coach to win is an integral part of their success. His teams don't do anything fancy. But he gets them to play hard game in and game out. There is no secret to success other than hard work, with is what Jack preaches.

Rich-Chicago: In your opinion, what are you most impressed with the game of hockey today as oppossed to when you were playing?
Mike Eruzione: The skill level of the players and the size and speed of the players.
CSTV.com Moderator: That is all the time we have with Mike this afternoon.
Mike Eruzione: Thanks for having me. I had a great time.
CSTV.com Moderator: Join us for the second half of today's "Tuesday @ The Rink" doubleheader, when we are joined by CSTV hockey analyst Adam Wodon. And next week, we go back to the 1980 Olympics, with our guests Mark Johnson and John "Bah" Harrington. We will be starting an hour earlier than normal next week, with Harrington, now coach at St. John's of Minnesota, at Noon Eastern and Johnson, now coach of the women's team at Wisconsin, at 1:00 Eastern. See you at the 2:00 Eastern today for Adam Wodon.

fanstore.com
shop now
T-shirts, caps, jerseys, collectibles and much more...
shop now

fanstore.com
featured product
T-shirts, caps, jerseys, collectibles and much more...
shop now

auctions
Hundreds of items for auction.
bid now