Swimming & Diving
  Tennis M | W
  Track and Field
  Ultimate
  Volleyball M | W
  Water Polo M | W
Tuesday @ The Rink

CHAT LIVE With Boston University Head Coach Jack Parker

Welcome to the CSTV.com moderated chat room!

On Tuesday, January 31 at 2:00 p.m. ET, Boston University Head Coach Jack Parker enters the chatroom at "Tuesday @ The Rink", presented by CSTV.com and USCHO.com. The Terriers are currently ranked No. 13 in the USCHO/CSTV Division I Hockey Rankings.

Jack Parker

Jack Parker was named the Terriers' 10th hockey coach on December 21, 1973 and has a coaching record of 730-377-82 at Boston University (entering weekend play). His 730 wins mark the most of any college hockey coach at the same institution, while he ranks second among active coach in wins and third in winning percentage.

He has won two NCAA titles, four consecutive Eastern crowns, 18 Beanpots and five Hockey East titles. He has topped the 20-win total 21 times, with only seven losing seasons and has coached the team to a record 20 NCAA Tournament appearances, the most of any active coach.

Parker has received countless honors including the Spencer Penrose Memorial Trophy as the NCAA Coach of the Year twice. The first was in 1975 when he guided his first team to a 26-5-1 mark, as it was the best major college record in the nation. He also was named Coach of the Year after guiding the 1977-78 team to a 30-2 record and the NCAA title. He also has been Hockey East Coach of the Year three times (1986, 1992, and 2000). Since 1976, 19 of his players have played in the Olympics.

** GET YOUR QUESTIONS IN NOW!!: Jack won't be stopping by until 2:00 p.m. EST on Tuesday, January 31st, and his time will be limited, so feel free to submit your questions now and we'll save them for his arrival!
CSTV.com Moderator: Welcome back to a special Beanpot doubleheader on "Tuesday @ The Rink". Our second guest today is BU coach Jack Parker.
Coach Parker: It is great to be back. I am ready to answer all of your questions.

Mike Boston: Hi coach, Good luck in the Beanpot. Your team has really gotten it going in the past 3 weeks. One reason for that seems to be that goals are coming in bunches. Would it be safe to say that this is the most talented collection of forwards since the '95 national championship team? Go BU!
Coach Parker: I wouldn't say that - we've had some pretty good teams here since 95, with guys like Chris Drury, Shawn Bates, Carl Corrazini, Tommy Degerman. But this is a solid group. I think the major reason we have turned it around is the addition of a player we didn't have the whole first semester, our leading goal scorer from the past two seasons, David Van Der Gulik. He might not have a goal yet, but being able to put him on the first line, then moving everyone else down a spot, makes this team a lot better and deeper.

Kellie (Boston): Hey Coach, I don't believe in coincidencs and the team has been hot since the return of two prominent seniors. How has the return of Van Der Gulik and Redlihs affected not only performance on the ice but locker room moral and overall confidence?
Coach Parker: It has been a big boost in all of those areas. Van Der Gulik is a co-captain of the team and a great leader. Both of them have had a lot of success here in the past, so it certainly helps all of our freshmen and sophomores to look down the bench or around the lockerroom and see two seniors with that much success. It definitely gives them a lot more confidence.

Greg (Boston): Coach, what brings you more joy: seeing a blue chipper like Brandon Yip fulfilling expectations or a player making unexpected contributions like Matt Gilroy this season & Matt Radoslovich in the past?
Coach Parker: I guess we'd like to be right in both of those areas. It certainly has been a big boost to our team to have an unknown entity like Matt Gilroy contribute so much. But we also needed to have Brandon Yip live up to his expectations. We knew he would be a great player in this league, but he has exceeded those expectations, especially in the power play area, where he has given us a real good point man (which we lost with the departure of Chris Bourque). But, it is always a great example when a Radoslovich or a Gilroy or a Kenny Roche in the 90s or a Matt Wright in the 90s, we've always had examples of people who wanted to take a chance and see if they could be as good as they wanted to be. It is always great when it works out.

Jean ( Hilton Head): Coach Parker, With your time at BU, and your love of sailing how is it that you didn't also take to coaching the sailing team once the ice melted over on the Charles.
Coach Parker: I'm not that good of a sailor. All of the sailors on the BU team know a lot more about sailing than I do. Of course, it could be said that a lot of the players on my team think they know a lot more about hockey than I do.

Colin Carey (Groton): Coach- First, congratulations on the hot streak. As a season ticket holder I have witnessed many great Terrier moments. One of my favorites occurred last Friday when you aggressivly forechecked the BC line with great success for almost a full eight minutes. I don't remember having ever seen that type of statagy employed by a BU squad. How did the coaching staff came up with that attack and when did you decided to use it, before the game (if that situation occurred) or on the spot? Thanks and here's to a great finish!
Coach Parker: It is ironic that it looked like we were forechecking so well, because for most of the game, we employed a conservative forechecking scheme. Sometimes you have your legs and your emotion and therefore you have a little more jump. At times during the BC game, we did that to them - but they also did it to us. Historically, we would hope that people would consider BU a forechecking team over a long period time of time. That has been our forte. But, it has become more and more difficult to swarm a team on the forecheck because people know how to take the pressure off better now.

Reading, MA: After last year's Beanpot you made a comment on the number of jerseys worn by BU students vs. BC students wearing t-shirts. Do you regret the attention that comment got or do you feel that BC hockey fans don't have the intensity of BU fans?
Coach Parker: That comment was made tongue in cheek, alluding to the fact that you had to spend more money on the BU jersey than the BC shirt. The fact is that the BC Superfan group has been a great addition to their home ice advantage, whether it be in Chestnut Hill or in the Garden.

Bruce Tepper: Jack: Why do your teams seem to "get their legs" in Jan/Feb just before The Beanpot? Do you want your teams to peak at Beanpot/playoff time? Can a team hold a peak for the entire season?
Coach Parker: I don't think a team can hold a peak for the entire season. We have historically been better in January and February than in November and December and I've said many times in the past that is probably because it takes me and my staff a little longer to figure out our club than many of my esteemed colleagues. I believe that to be true. We kind of break our team down a bit before we build them back up again. I'm not recommending that as a way to coach a college hockey season. However, I am recommending that all of us would like to be at our best in March.

Dave - Brookline: Can you explain the BU mystique surrounding the Beanpot? Every year your guys seem to step up on those two Monday nights, much like CM does in the Super 8. Any relation?
Coach Parker: Well, I went to CM, we've had a lot of CM players over the years, we both wear red uniforms and we both play similar styles. But none of the above are really factors in our success. I think we've alluded to the fact that BU is usually better in January and February, and the Beanpot is played in February. In a short tournament, goaltending is always a huge factor and we've been blessed with great goaltending over the years. I would also not discount the fact that there might be a little less pressure on BU teams to win the Beanpot because we won it last year or three years in a row or whatever it might be. We don't go very long without winning it, so there is a little less pressure on us to win it in a particular year.

Jim (Farmington Falls, ME): Your teams are known for rising to the occasion and beating top-ranked teams. What's your secret? What do you do to them & for them, and what characteristics of a team cause them to win the big games?
Coach Parker: You can't win big games without enough talent. Usually when you are playing a big game, the other team has a lot of talent, too, so you need to be in the ballpark in that area. I truly believe that our coaching staff gets too much credit in this area. The credit really goes to the competitiveness of our players. Over the years, we've tried to recruit players that had certain attributes that are important to us and determination and the will to win are always factored in in our evaluation of players.

John (Holbrook): Coach, where would you rank John Curry among all the goaltenders to ever play at BU? He just never seems to get rattled. Thank you and good luck in the Beanpot & the rest of the season.
Coach Parker: John Curry has proven himself to be one of the best goalies to ever wear our uniform. There have been a lot of great goaltenders here with a lot of great stats, and he leads the pack over all of them. He became the leading goaltender in BU history in both goals against average and save percentage. But that is misleading, because the postion has changed so drastically. No position in any sport has made the jump technically in how to play the position better than goaltenders have over the last ten years. So if Ed Walsh's save perentage or Dan Brady's save percentage doesn't look as stellar as some of the stats we see today, it is because the position has changed for the better. It remains to be seen where Curry's final historical evaluation will be. I think the great goaltenders in BU history have won National Championships.

Kellie (Boston): How important has the play of Dan Spang been this seson? The defense is a vetern group but he always seems to stick out in my mind after games.
Coach Parker: Dan has had a terrific season for us in his senior year. He has been a leader off the ice, he garners plenty of ice time and has proven one of the best defensemen in Hockey East. He also is a coach's dream - a guy that keeps getting better.

Kevin McCarthy (Wareham): Congratulations on a tremendous run of late.My question is with eight defenseman of similar ability,how do you determine who is going to play.
Coach Parker: Those who play well will be rewarded with further play.

Andrew (Boston): What impact do you think Agganis Arena will have on the type of player you and your staff recruits. Have you adjusted at all because of the larger ice surface?
Coach Parker: It already has had a great impact on our recruiting and hopeully will continue to in the future. As far as the ice surface is concerned, we have yet to really develop a home ice advantage because we are not that familiar with the boards, the glass or the larger surface. So, we don't have an advantage over our opponent...yet. Hopefully, that will come soon. However, we have transported the crowd effect from Walter Brown Arena to Agganis Arena. It still sounds just as loud and feels like the crowd is on top of you.
CSTV.com Moderator: That is all the time we have with Coach Parker, who we would like to thank for taking some extra time because of all of the great questions.
Coach Parker: Thank you for having me. I really appreciate it and look forward to doing it again.
CSTV.com Moderator: Because there were so many questions we did not get to, we will be have Coack Parker answer some more of them, either via another live chat or in a mailbag. Check back soon for more information.
CSTV.com Moderator: That wraps up our Beanpot edition of "Tuesday @ The Rink". Thanks for joining us and check back to find out who our guests will be next week.

fanstore.com
shop now
T-shirts, caps, jerseys, collectibles and much more...
shop now

fanstore.com
featured product
T-shirts, caps, jerseys, collectibles and much more...
shop now

auctions
Hundreds of items for auction.
bid now