Swimming & Diving
  Tennis M | W
  Track and Field
  Ultimate
  Volleyball M | W
  Water Polo M | W
Tuesday @ The Rink

CHAT LIVE With Harvard Head Coach Ted Donato

Welcome to the CSTV.com moderated chat room!

On Tuesday, January 31 at 1:00 p.m. ET, Harvard Head Coach Ted Donato enters the chatroom at "Tuesday @ The Rink", presented by CSTV.com and USCHO.com. The Crimson are currently ranked No. 17 in the USCHO/CSTV Division I Hockey Rankings.

Ted Donato

Ted Donato, a former Harvard hockey captain who won an NCAA championship, played in the Olympics and enjoyed a 13-year NHL career, was introduced as the Robert D. Ziff Head Coach of Harvard men's ice hockey July 2, 2004. A 1991 graduate, Donato is just the sixth person to serve as Harvard's head coach since 1950. He is the eighth Harvard alum to serve as head coach at his alma mater. The appointment at Harvard is Donato's first coaching position.

As an undergraduate, Donato etched his name along the all-time greats in Harvard hockey history. He finished his career 11th on the Crimson's career scoring chart (50 goals, 94 assists, 144 points) and remains 12th in that category. He was named Most Valuable Player of the 1989 NCAA Frozen Four, where Harvard downed Minnesota, 4-3 in overtime, in the NCAA championship game.

Donato was selected by the Boston Bruins in the fifth round of the 1987 NHL Entry Draft (98th overall), and he signed with his hometown club in March 1992 following the Olympic Games. His 13-year professional career included stops in New York (with both the Rangers and Islanders), Los Angeles, Ottawa, Anaheim and St. Louis. He returned to the Bruins as a free agent in July 2003. He played in 796 games, in which he scored 150 goals with 197 assists for 347 points.

** GET YOUR QUESTIONS IN NOW!!: Ted won't be stopping by until 1:00 p.m. EST on Tuesday, January 31st, and his time will be limited, so feel free to submit your questions now and we'll save them for his arrival!
CSTV.com Moderator: Welcome to another edition of "Tuesday @ The Rink". It is Beanpot time and we have two of the coaches from the Tournament with us today. We will be starting momentarily with Harvard coach Ted Donato.
CSTV.com Moderator: Coach Donato has joined us.
Coach Donato: Hi, eveyone. I am happy to be here and am ready to take your questions.

Nate, Calumet, Michigan: Ted What is your favorite hockey moment in your career so far?
Coach Donato: My favorite moment would be winning the National Championship here at Harvard, with my NHL debut with the Boston Bruins a close second.

Jonathan, Boston, MA: Coach, The Beanpot always seems to come quick on the heels of the Ivy League Exam break. How do you as a coach prepare your team for such an intense tournament as the Beanpot after the extended amount of time off? How does your experience as a player shape the way you prep your team?
Coach Donato: Obviously, the timing of the Beanpot isn't perfect as far as our exam schedule is concerned. However, the emotion, intensity and history of the Beanpot makes motivating a non-issue. From a tactical and conditioning standpoint, we would prefer to be more in the middle of our schedule than coming off exams, but we expect to be prepared, have a good showing, and don't make any excuses.

Matt (Wallingford, CT): Hey Coach. I will be in attendance for the Beanpot. How would you compare the hype this year compared to last year in the Beanpot, knowing the four teams as a group are not as strong according to the rankings?
Coach Donato: Most of the teams are going through situations where there were a lot of high profile players that graduated. However, there are still three teams out of four that are Top 20 teams and, for the most part, these are schools that don't rebuild, but usually reload. So I do feel that the games will be excellent with implications not only for the bragging rights in the city of Boston and a Beanpot Championship, but on the national scene and for the NCAA Tournament.

Eliot House Alum: Ted- 3 points in 4 games against the Capital District teams has to be pretty disappointing to everyone involved. Is the talent or the effort more to blame? Other than the 3rd period against RPI, there didn't seem to be much ugency at Bright last weekend.
Coach Donato: There is no doubt that, as a program, the results of the last four games are nowhere near what we expect out of ourselves. Not to take away anything from the teams we played, but we feel that we can and need to play with greater urgency, greater commitment and better execution. It would be easy to sit back and say that we've been off for almost three weeks because of exams and only got two full practices in during that time. However, we understand that is an every year occurrence with our program and I feel there is no excuse for any games that are played at Bright for us not to be on top of our game.

John (Boston): Ted, I am not sure of the exact numbers, but from listening to the games, it is not hard to see that Harvard's power play has not been clicking. After so much power play success early in the season against teams like BC, why isn't it meshing and producing?
Coach Donato: I think it is pretty evident that our lack of success on the power play has been a major factor in our losses this season. With the schedule that we have been on, we haven't been able to spend enough time getting it to a point where it is as effective as we know it needs to be. Going forward, we expect our power play to not only not be a weakness, but to be a big plus for us coming down the stretch.

John (Cambridge): What can you tell us about any goalies in the recruiting pipeline?
Coach Donato: We haven't officially finalized a commitment from a goaltending standpoint. We do feel that is imminent and is obviously a huge factor in our recruiting process this year.

Manchester, Ma.: Hello Coach, Seeing that you are a proponent of the up tempo skating style,is Europe a viable place to recuit where your prefered style is the norm?
Coach Donato: While we would love to entertain the notion of highly skilled Europeans at Harvard, the academic component sometimes can be a speed bump in that process.

Hampton, Nashville, TN: Coach Donato, As Harvard alum, I wanted to get your take on how close the program is to recapturing the "perrenial national championship contender" status the team had in the 1980s and early 90s? Many thanks and best of luck the rest of the way!
Coach Donato: I feel that, right now, with a string of four consecutive NCAA appearances, that we are headed in the right direction. There is no doubt some disappointment in how we've fared in those appearances. The next step is to do very well in the tournament, with our goal to be National Champions.

Ed (Walpole): How big of a confidence boost would winning the Beanpot for your guys that have been at Harvard the last 2 or 3 years, and always seem to come up a little short in tournament games, NCAA and Beanpot?
Coach Donato: I think it would be a huge boost to us confidence-wise to not only beat such very good teams, but also to do it in an environment that would most closely mirror an NCAA Final Four.
CSTV.com Moderator: That is all the time we have with Coach Donato today.
Coach Donato: Thanks for having me. I enjoyed taking your questions. Thanks for supporting Harvard hockey.
CSTV.com Moderator: We will be back with the second half of "Tuesday @ The Rink's" Beanpot doubleheader at the top of the hour, when we will be joined by BU Head Coach Jack Parker. See you at 2:00 Eastern.

fanstore.com
shop now
T-shirts, caps, jerseys, collectibles and much more...
shop now

fanstore.com
featured product
T-shirts, caps, jerseys, collectibles and much more...
shop now

auctions
Hundreds of items for auction.
bid now