Swimming & Diving
  Tennis M | W
  Track and Field
  Ultimate
  Volleyball M | W
  Water Polo M | W
Tuesday @ The Rink

CHAT LIVE With Boston University Goaltender John Curry

Welcome to the CSTV.com moderated chat room!

On Tuesday, January 22 at 2:00 p.m. ET, Boston University goaltender John Curry enters the chatroom at "Tuesday @ The Rink", presented by CSTV.com and USCHO.com. The No. 7 Terriers face rival No. 13 Boston College on Wednesday and Friday.

Jack Parker

After playing a total of five minutes and 10 seconds in his freshman year at Boston University, John Curry has become the Terriers' mainstay in net over the balance of his Terrier career. Currently, Curry has a 9-4-6 record for the Terriers with a 1.80 goals-against average (fourth in the nation) and a .932 save percentage (fifth).

The former walk-on from Shorewood, Minn., won his first collegiate game on October 16, 2004 against Vermont, and went on to post an 18-11-3 record for the Terriers as a sophomore, with a 1.97 goals-against average and a .923 save percentage, ranking ninth and 10th in the nation, respectively, in those categories. As a junior, Curry wen 24-8-4 for the Terriers with a 2.24 goals-against average and .918 save percentage. For his efforts, Curry was a First Team All-Star in Hockey East and an RBK Second Team All-American.

Curry is a two-time semifinalist for the Walter Brown Award, presented annually to the top American-born college hockey player in New England. He has also been the runner-up for Hockey East Player of the Year in each of the last two seasons.

** GET YOUR QUESTIONS IN NOW!!: John won't be stopping by until 2:00 p.m. EST on Tuesday, January 22nd, and his time will be limited, so feel free to submit your questions now and we'll save them for his arrival!
CSTV.com Moderator: Hello again, and welcome back to "Tuesday @ the Rink" presented by CSTV.com and USCHO. We're set to go with our second chat, as we're joined now by Boston University goaltender John Curry.
John Curry: Thanks for having me. How's everyone doing today?

Ryan (Boston): How frustrating was it to lose to BC this season despite a stellar performance by yourself (which has been the case in many games this season)? What do you as a team have to do differently on wednesday?
John Curry: It was definitely frustrating, but at this point, we are definitely a better team than we were back then as far as executing our systems and our confidence with scoring. I think we'll play a lot better on Wednesday.

Kevin (Wareham): John do you anticipate starting all three games this week?How difficult will it be to be ready for UMass on Saturday after the home and home with B.C.
John Curry: I haven't discussed Saturday's game with Coach yet, but at this point in the season, every week can get pretty tiring physically, so you have to take it every game at a time and do everything throughout the week to make sure your body's prepared. This stretch will definitely be challenging as far as that is concerned.

Jesus (BU): How does this team just happen to get so good almost overnight after the new year?
John Curry: That's a very good question... Obviously we have the same players, it's just a matter of how everyone is playing together. Before, it seemed as though we had never played together and now all the lines and the defensemen seem to be meshing well, which makes all the difference in how our team performs.

Tom (Boston,Ma): In the past you guys have seemed to peak early (conveniently around Beanpot time) and then have a tough time in the tournament. What do you think you need to do to be able to peak at the right time? Over the past couple of years the team has accomplished just about everything but the ultimate prize; how hungry are you guys for it?
John Curry: Absolutely. We don't want to downplay the Beanpot, because it's a great tournament, but the bottom line is, over the last couple years we haven't performed our best when it mattered in the NCAAs. The seniors, along with the rest of the team, are very hungry to get over that hump.

Pete (Hamburg, Germany): It seems the beginning of this season was a bit frustrating for BU, but very similarly to last year the Terriers seem to have picked up their game for the home stretch. Last year the catalyst seemed to be the return of David van der Gulik. What has helped this year?
John Curry: I think obviously having Brandon Yip back is a big component, but also our team's style of play is that it seems to take a while for every player to understand what his role is on the team and how he is supposed to perform in any given situation and over the past couple of years that development process has taken almost the first half of the season.

Jon (Boston): In your three years as BU's starting goaltender you have set nearly every Boston University goaltending record. This is quite an accomplishment considering all of the great players and teams that have come through BU. Have you had a chance yet to reflect on the significance of these accomplishments, and what your goals for the second half of your last season at BU?
John Curry: During the season, I really don't have much time to reflect on these things, but when I do get a chance during the offseason I am honored to be compared to the great goaltenders that have played at BU. I'm sure that I will have more time to reflect when my career here is over. As far as my goals for the second half of this year, none of them are individual goals. Obviously I want to play well individually to help the team, but my goals are in line with the team's which are to get to the Frozen Four and to have a chance at winning a national championship.

Steve (Boston): John, your journey from walk-on to All-American has been inspirational. What has it been like to go from "rags to riches", so to speak, so quickly and how has the fan support from the university community helped along the way?
John Curry: It has been an incredible experience. I was confident that I could compete and play well at this level, but obviously I did not expect to get to this point. I can't say enough about the fans here. It would have been easy for them to complain about having a "walk-on" goalie in net at such a prominent hockey program, but they have done nothing but support me which has helped to gain confidence throughout the past three years.

Mike in Nashua: How have you improved technically as a goalie since first arriving at BU. How have you improved the mental aspect of your game in handling pressure situations?
John Curry: The technical aspect of my game is what kept me from being recruited by Division I schools, so that part of my game has improved a lot due to the coaching of our goalie coach, Mike Geragosian. I was able to use my freshman year to change my style and not have to rely as much on making a big save, and rather having the puck hit me from being in the righ position. Gera has also helped the mental aspect of my game as well, but much of the improvement in my "game mentality" has come through all of the experience in being in high pressure situations.

Matt (Boston): Obviously you are the first-string goalie on the team, but you have two very good backups in Karson Gillespie and Brett Bennett. What do you think that depth does for the team, as well as for you personally (knowing that there will be good play in net if Parker decides to give you the day off as happened last Saturday)? Go BU!
John Curry: Yeah, the situation is very competetive and keeps me on top of my game. I may have earned the number one position, but I am alwasy conscious of how easy I could lose it because of how good our other two goalies are. That being said, being able to take a night off every once in a while is also beneficial, especially with the confidence that one of the other two guys will play well.

Chris (Boston, MA): What are you guys most proud of at this point in the season and what do you see as the biggest task ahead? As a huge goalie and BU fan, I've been following your career and all of us fans are extremely proud to have you as our backstop.
John Curry: Thank you, I really appreciate the support. At this point in the season I am proud of how well our team has held it together mentally. Though our record didn't suffer too badly in the first half of the season, our team was not playing very good hockey at certain points. Everyone has kept a positive attitude and maintained their work ethic to push through those problems. As for the second half, our biggest challenge is to keep improving and not to get too high or too low. As we have seen the past two seasons we have maybe peaked too early. We need to maintain consistently good play and continue to play better each game as March approaches.
CSTV.com Moderator: That is all the time we have with John this afternoon.
John Curry: Thanks for everyone that tuned in and I really thank everyone for their support as we head into the heart of our regular season. Thanks again for having me.
CSTV.com Moderator: That will do it for this week's "Tuesday @ the Rink" chats, presented by CSTV.com and USCHO. Keep checking back for info on next week's guests. Also, for you Terrier fans, keep an eye on the Rink Rat blog this weekend, as I'll be blogging live from Saturday evening's BU-UMass game in Amherst. Thanks, and have a great week!

fanstore.com
shop now
T-shirts, caps, jerseys, collectibles and much more...
shop now

fanstore.com
featured product
T-shirts, caps, jerseys, collectibles and much more...
shop now

auctions
Hundreds of items for auction.
bid now