Swimming & Diving
  Tennis M | W
  Track and Field
  Ultimate
  Volleyball M | W
  Water Polo M | W
Tuesday @ The Rink

CHAT LIVE With Boston College Head Coach Jerry York

Welcome to the CSTV.com moderated chat room!

On Tuesday, January 24 at 1:00 p.m. ET, Boston College Head Coach Jerry York enters the chatroom at "Tuesday @ The Rink", presented by CSTV.com and USCHO.com. The Eagles are currently ranked No. 1 in the USCHO/CSTV Division I Hockey Rankings.

Jerry York

Jerry York is in his 34th season as a head coach and his 12th at Boston college after seven years (1972-79) at Clarkson and 15 years (1979-94) at Bowling Green. He began the 2005-06 season as college hockey's third all-time winningest coach (first among active Division I coaches) with 723 wins and is one of only two coaches in NCAA history to lead two different schools to national titles (Bowling Green, 1984, Boston College, 2001).

York has received numerous honors throughout his career, including the 1976-77 Spencer Penrose Trophy as the nation's Division I Coach of the Year, Hockey East Coach of the Year honors in 2003-04 and CCHA Coach of the Year honors in 1981-82. He has led 15 teams to 25 or more winsand four teams to 30 or more victories.

Coach York assumed the head coaching duties at Boston College, his alma mater, on June 15, 1994 and in that time has led Boston College to five NCAA Tournament "Frozen Four" berths and four HOCKEY EAST Tournament titles. He earned his 700th collegiate victory with a 5-3 win against North Dakota on October 29, 2004.

** GET YOUR QUESTIONS IN NOW!!: Jerry won't be stopping by until 1:00 p.m. EST on Tuesday, January 24th, and his time will be limited, so feel free to submit your questions now and we'll save them for his arrival!
CSTV.com Moderator: Welcome to another edition of "Tuesday @ The Rink". We've got two great guests lined up for today. In the leadoff spot is the Head Coach of the new No. 1 team in the country, BC's Jerry York.
Jerry York: Hello, everyone. I am happy to be back to take your questions.

Chris Guzzi (Newton): You recently signed an extension to your contract that will keep you at BC until 2011. When you took over BC's program in 1994, did you ever think you would stay at your alma mater so long?
Jerry York: I often think back about this. Bob Johnson, who I became very close with when he was coaching in the NHL and whose son, Peter, was my grad assistant at Bowling Green, would come and visit a lot. His thought was always that "You are going to be a lifer!" because he was a "lifer". That was the mid-80s, and I never really thought about it then. It turned out to be just that - I am a coaching "lifer". But 20 years ago, I never thought I would still be coaching. I am proud to be a coaching "lifer".

Dave (Boston): Hey Jerry! Great Sweep last weekend! Does being the #1 team i nteh nation have any kind of affect on how your team feels and acts in the locker room, or on and off the ice? Congrats again on this past weekend! Go Eagles! All The Way To A National Championship!
Jerry York: No question it does. Part of coaching is the psychology behind how you feel and how you play. When we started the year 1-2-1, everyone on campus is asking what is wrong with the team and the players would be subject to that every day on campus. You fight that as a coach and teach them to stay the course, but it is a hard process to go through. Now, it is the same type of situation, but in a reverse role. I have to counteract that with "Why are we winning?" and reinforce the standards that have produced these results. So it is two different continuums in the span of four months of the same season. You can't let the highs get too high or the lows get too low.

The Hugger (Natick, MA): What has surprised you the most about your team so far this season?
Jerry York: I think how well our three seniors have meshed our team together with so many new faces in the locker room. Peter Harrold, Chris Collins and Stephen Gionta, our three captains, have done a terrific job blending in all the new faces. That is so difficult - we lost 11 players from last year and the dynamic in our locker room is totally different. They have been able to keep everyone tight as a team, with common goals. That has been a pleasant surprise, I think.

Dan (Holliston): Coach - Your team is very young (mostly Freshmen and Sophmores), did you see this as a rebuilding year with great future potential or did you expect them to play this well?
Jerry York: Each year, you are never quite sure what you have. We can guess and try to look to the future. But in reality, you just don't know. So, I wasn't quite sure if it was going to be a rebuilding year or a banner year. Our goal, as always, was to just chase trophies. We have been able to do that and are in the chase.

neal hunt: Last year opponents were getting far fewer shots on goal it seemed. While it's obvious that Cory S. is more than up to the task, the question is does this result from a change in defensive personnel or a change in strategy? Thanks and a great year to date.
Jerry York: Clearly, the number of shots Cory is facing this year is considerably higher. Our system of play has not changed, but we have four freshman defensemen and one sophomore just learning the ropes of Hockey East. That is probably the most difficult position to break into in college hockey. It is not for lack of try.

Andrew (Boston): Jerry, Thank you and your team for representing Boston College and its alumni with such class and dignity. Hopefully, Ben Eaves will be able to return from his injury and have a productive NHL career. When Ben's playing days are over, do you envision him behind the B.C. bench in some capacity?
Jerry York: Ben is now recuperating from knee surgery and is back on our campus in the rehabilitation process. He certainly will be, at some point, a tremendous coach. I've always thought, watching him play and interacting with him for the four years he was here, that he really understood the game very well and he will make a fine coach in the future. But he really wants to play. Hopefully down the road, though, he'll come back and help us here.

Joe(Cambridge): Of all the goalies you have coached in the past, who does Cory Schneider most remind you of?
Jerry York: He has a lot of Scott Clemmensen's qualities, specifically the competitive nature, the willingness to be a leader and, finally, terrific work habits.

Joe(Cambridge): Did you ever expect Chris Collins to have the output he is having this year, and what has it meant to the team?
Jerry York: This has been a banner year for Chris as far as goal scoring - 20 goals at this juncture is a high for him. He clearly has had a big role in the success we have had this year. His poise with the puck is much improved and it has resulted in increased goal production.

wingz (Boston):: Coach York - Congratulations on a great season so far. Two quick questions: how do you feel about retiring Brian Gionta's #12? Thanks.
Jerry York: I'd be all in favor of it. He is one of my very favorite players and one of the Top 5 to ever wear a Boston College uniform.

Brian (Charlestown, MA): As a BC alumn, I'd like to know who you would name as your starting 5 + Goalie if you could pick any of the players you've coached at BC. Thanks, and see you at the Garden for the Beanpot and HE playoffs. Go Eagles!
Jerry York: I will have to wait until I am finished coaching before I answer that. There have been way too many players to pick just a starting five.

Paul Boston: Coach I'm really looking forward to Friday's game against B.U. what do you believe B.U. is doing better now than they were when they struugled earier in the year.
Jerry York: They are certainly one of the hottest team in the nation. The addition of both seniors, Van der Gulik and Redlihs, have made the Terriers a more complete hockey team. The fine play of John Curry in goal has helped make them more successful. We are hoping to break the single game attendance record here Friday night.
CSTV.com Moderator: That is all the time we have with Coach York this afternoon.
Jerry York: Thank you for having me. I really enjoyed it.
CSTV.com Moderator: Join us for the second half of today's doubleheader at the top of the hour when we are joined by USCHO Bracketologist Jayson Moy.
CSTV.com Moderator: And next week, we will have a special Beanpot doubleheader, when we are joined by BU Coach Jack Parker and Harvard Coach Ted Donato.
CSTV.com Moderator: See you at 2 Eastern today for Jayson Moy.

fanstore.com
shop now
T-shirts, caps, jerseys, collectibles and much more...
shop now

fanstore.com
featured product
T-shirts, caps, jerseys, collectibles and much more...
shop now

auctions
Hundreds of items for auction.
bid now