Swimming & Diving
  Tennis M | W
  Track and Field
  Ultimate
  Volleyball M | W
  Water Polo M | W
Tuesday @ The Rink

CHAT LIVE With CSTV's Scott Pellerin

Welcome to the CSTV.com moderated chat room!

On Tuesday, January 3 at 1:00 p.m. ET, CSTV Hockey Analyst and 1992 Hobey Baker Award winner Scott Pellerin stops by "Tuesday @ The Rink", presented by CSTV.com and USCHO.com. Scott will be taking all of your questions on college hockey.

** GET YOUR QUESTIONS IN NOW!!: Scott won't be stopping by until 1:00 p.m. EST on Tuesday, January 3rd, but feel free to submit your questions now and we'll save them for his arrival!
CSTV.com Moderator: Welcome to the first edition of "Tuesday @ The Rink" of 2006. As always, we have two guests lined up for you today. Kicking things off this afternoon is CSTV Hockey Analyst and 1992 Hobey Baker Award winner Scott Pellerin.
Scott Pellerin: Happy New Year, everyone. I am happy to be here and am ready for your questions.

Lukas Huebener, Cape Elizabeth Maine: What do you think are the main reasons for Maine's troubles this season?
Scott Pellerin: I think the number one reason is dealing with the loss of some key members of last year's team. But I think they just have to try and find their team identity, deal with some adversity and just continue focusing on playing one game at a time and I think they will be fine.

Billy(Orono): I noticed Maine got a letter of intent from a recruit from New Brunswick. With the luck Maine has had with you and Cory Larose, I wonder why there aren't more players from New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, but I don't have any insight in the juniors program there. Can you comment on how you got to Maine?
Scott Pellerin: I think there are a lot of great hockey players from the Maritimes (New Brunswick and Nova Scotia). I think it was an untapped market for such a long time, but with the emergence of major junior hockey in that area, there has been a new focus on the junior players from there. I think it has given a new opportunity for more scouting and recruiting for college teams to focus in that region. In my situation, I left home and went west to play high school hockey in Saskatchewan at Notre Dame and I was recruited to play at Maine from there.

Starkville, MS: I am a Niagara U. alumni and a big fan. Do you think Niagara will maintain its lead in the CHA?
Scott Pellerin: Niagara is having a great season so far and just had a big win against UNH. They are playing with a lot of confidence, so they should do well.

Chris (Marlborough, MA): How has college hockey changed over the last 15 years, when you were playing? Do you think it's been for the better? It's strange to hear Maine referred to as a defensive team these days. I think back to the late 80s and early 90s, to guys like you, Jean-Yves Roy, Jim Montgomery, and Paul Kariya, etc. And it seems like you can say the same thing about other successful eastern teams lately (BC, Cornell, BU).
Scott Pellerin: The game has definitely changed since I played in college. There are more teams, recruiting is tougher and teams are better coached and prepared for their opponents. There aren't any surprises anymore. I think there is more competition for top-notch recruits. But, I think it is an explosive, energetic, exciting game that will evolve with the new rules.

Jon (Bangor): Can you explain what it was like to be a Black Bear and play under Shawn Walsh. Was he a player's coach? What story could you tell that would sum up for fans the honor it is to wear the Black Bear jersey? The fans are still wearing yours to the games today.
Scott Pellerin: Shawn was a great coach and was able to get the best out of all his players for every game. To be able to play at Alfond Arena was something special and I think that is one of the things that makes Maine such a great place to play. I think the honor for me to wear the Black Bear jersey was my last game, when we lost in the quarter-finals of the NCAA Tournament, when I realized that it would be my last game ever wearing the Black Bear uniform. That is when I realized how special it really is.

Matt (Durham, NH): What's your analysis of UNH's mediocrity this year - lack of talent beyond the first line, lack of interest / effort, or something else?
Scott Pellerin: I really like UNH. I think they have a lot of talent and are well coached. But, I think they have had a difficult time playing 60 minutes and playing consistent hockey throughout the beginning of the season. They need to try and get more production out of their other lines and play a little better team defense.

jeff (BlackBear in Alaska): Scott, do you like how D-1 hockey today as to when you played at Maine and how can the sport become even more popular (Do we need more schools in D-1?) thanks...M A I N E ....GO BLUE!
Scott Pellerin: I really like D-I hockey right now. There are a lot of new rivalries and new schools and I think that is just going to help college hockey in the future and bring it to the next level. I'm not sure if we need more schools, but in order to create more rivalries and better competition, that it where it is going to go in the future.

Dave (Manitou Springs, CO): Marty Sertich is the defending Hobey winner, but hasn't gotten much love in the Hobey Watch, even though he's right there with the national scoring leaders. Why do you think that is?
Scott Pellerin: I'm not sure why he is not getting the respect he should. To win the Hobey Baker is an incredible honor. I think he is a tremendous player and I definitely think he will be one of the key players in the Hobey Watch down the stretch this season.
CSTV.com Moderator: That is all the time we have with Scott this afternoon.
Scott Pellerin: Thanks for having me. I had a great time taking your questions.
CSTV.com Moderator: Join us for part two of today's doubleheader, when we are joined at the top of the hour by USCHO Atlantic Hockey correspondent Jim Connelly. See you at 2:00 Eastern.

fanstore.com
shop now
T-shirts, caps, jerseys, collectibles and much more...
shop now

fanstore.com
featured product
T-shirts, caps, jerseys, collectibles and much more...
shop now

auctions
Hundreds of items for auction.
bid now